Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Thanks! I will be a Walmart tomorrow so I can pick some up and check out the $1 fabric too.
    What is pellon? Something to give it more substance?
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

Looks better then my one and only try. Heck I couldn't even get the thread to do right in my machine. I even got out the instructions to the darn machine but it still screwed up. So sad, I just gave up.

I bet before long you'll be getting fancy on us.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

Yes its paper like, and gives it better body. The d-rings you can get where the buttons are. Go to the dollar store and buy they leashes and collars for the strapping goes a log way. In some dollar stores you can get 3-6 feet for a dollar or two.
    If you buy the dollar material make sure you wash it in warm water to see if it shrinks. I usualy check out the clearance bin and buy from there, you can get clearance material there sometimes as low as 1.50 a yard.
    Last edited by LUVMYGUNNER; 08-25-2007 at 10:44 AM.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound

Thanks

Well, he looks quite handsome in his brand new harness. Good job!
    Spay & Neuter makes 'em cuter
    http://www.straydog.org/ "All stray dogs to lucky dogs...NOW!"

Thanks

Check out the remnant bin at walmart too. Lots of times pieces are big enough for a harness, esp if you piece the part that goes around their middle.
    They often have cute pieces of trim and stuff in little bags there in the remnant too...you might get inspired by something there
    I think the bias tape helps the whole project look finished but geez I find it hard to work with around the curves but I am kinda sewing impaired. Get wide bias tape LOL. Less frustration.
    Here are my attempts
    first ones

Salsa's first

Later bug harnesses

mesh harness (bought a mesh athletic shirt at the goodwill and used that)

Gators harness vest for my sisters JRT

I stopped using velcro at the neck cuz Laika hates velcro and it sticks to her long hair so now I sew them togethe at the front instead.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Brooke!!!! As someone who has trouble threading a needle, never mind using one, and who failed the sewing part of home ec, I think you did GREAT!!!!! You go, girl!! (And Amy, S. Omnibug doesn't appear to appreciate your efforts on her behalf, judging from her expression )
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom
    (And Amy, S. Omnibug doesn't appear to appreciate your efforts on her behalf, judging from her expression )
    She is an ungrateful creature...
    It was interesting to see how scrawny she was in the first harness pic! That's when I first got her...of course she was just a year old but really I am thinking she's a bit fat now! Little piggy bug.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Brooke, I think you did an awesome job!:cheer2: I really like the pattern on the fabric you chose too!!!!

Irma and Amy (no Amy, you are not "sewing impaired").......ya'll's look wonderful!

Ok, somebody send me a harness pattern or tell me which pattern book has a good one.........I'm gettin' inspired here!!!!:banana:
    (I was wondering if I could have a harness to send on with each pup that we foster.....I could never afford to buy one for each dog, but I sure as heck could make them!)
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Something you can substitute for pellon is heavy denim or twill fabric. I save my husband's old jeans and use them to line stuff like purses. They'd be great to line harnesses and the price is definitely right! :cheer2: :cheer2:
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

OK people take it from someone that had 4 years of sewing in high school and has sewn for 40 years---you need to clip around the curved parts. It means you cut into it about 1/8 of an inch. Makes the curved part come out nicer and lays better. You need to do it around the neck, and arms---anywhere where there is a curve.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound