Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Tex, you make those awesome bags---you can make the harnesses. Mine are time consuming-I put a lot of detail in mine, so they take a while to make, but when you first start making them, start easy. I showed my first one--it was for my daughters doxie, cause I had bought the hug-a-dog and just started to make them, that was 3 1/2years ago and boy did it catch on. Between the 4 boards I belong to, I have sent out many, many patterns and so have the people I sent them to.

This is the first one I made for Petunia.

Last edited by LUVMYGUNNER; 08-25-2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound

Thanks

http://www.partipoodlepetsupplies.co...duroy-xsm.html

I saw some cute dog/biker stuff on this site while looking at Salsa's new cowgirl dress. I think some of it was on sale. They did have a great clearance area. Good luck...
    Save the earth. It's the only planet with dachshunds...
    Susie:duh: , Sam and Issy

Thanks

So when you clip around the curves do you then just sew the bias tape over where you cut?

Thanks for ALL the great tips and encouragement! I want to, one I get proficient at it donate some to rescue too.

I was wondering how to do the mesh, that is a great Idea about the mesh shirt! Since I am a bargain queen, I am sure I will be able to find tons of mes shirts/pants to make into harnesses and for a good price too!
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

I found some realy good mesh at our new Walmart 30 miles away it is equal in size to the hug-a-dog and I have been using it to line the backs of the harnesses. You have to be careful on the mesh, don't get something that gives-(pulls in different directions) cause then its not sturdy, especially if the dogs are bigger. You can use it on a small dog with no problem. For mesh you can get the laundry bags at Walmart, Kmart also your Dollar Store. I bought a bunch there until I found the stuff at Walmart-it doesn't give and is nice and sturdy.
    Yes you sew the bias tape over the cut part--it should look like little slids all around (1/2 in) Clip a 1/8 in the space, then about 1/2 inch apart.

Thanks

Thanks, I would never have known about the mesh and getting non stretchy if you hadnt told me, and I never would have thought about laundry bags!
    So on the curve I would cut in 1/8inch every half inch or so and then sew the bias tape over, is that right? I cant wait to get all the stuff i need now so I can do some more practicing! Oh where are you finding the clips for the front? Also if I want to have the front closed do I just sew it together evenly? Thansk again for all the help!
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

I hate bias tape with a passion that burns like the fires of he l l - but I think it is a necessary evil. I sew all kinds of things for around the house and dog beds and such and that is the WORST stuff ever! I've made Bailey a harness and Scout a harness, and they were cute, but I need to practice more to make them more sturdy.

That being said, I think I must have been highly intoxicated when I volunteered to help sew harnesses for CTDR. :mad4:
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks

You've got the idea - you need to cut out two pieces of fabric, attach pellon to one, put the two together, right sides of fabric together, and stitch the fabric plus the pellon all together - leave the bottom straight end open so you can turn the three pieces right side out, add the "collar" fabric and the d-ring BEFORE you sew the 3 pieces together (I forgot to add that), after turning all of it right side out, then you cut little slits, like Irma said, on the rounded edges so the edges lay flatter and look nicer. Tack the bottom open side together with small hand-stitching. Take double-wide bias tape (contrasting color or matching color or whatever) and put it entirely around the harness - then sew on the velcro. I suggest using pieces about 1-2 inches long, so they're adjustable to the side of the dog. Irma, did I leave anything out? I tried to be as detailed as possible. I'm going to try to take some photos of my latest harnesses - new ones and ones I've "remodeled" that were made by others, poorly, and I've "fixed" - so maybe my photos will help, too. Irma, your photos looked pretty good - could you get a shot a little closer, to show the D-ring and all a little better? I'll try to do that myself this weekend. Ugh - this got so long!!!

Thanks

Suzanne if she uses bias tape (double wide) she doesn't need to sew the 2 right sides together and turn inside out. I usualy put the pellon on the top material so its a little sturdier, with the strapping going on there. Then you add the left side (underside of material) to the top piece of harness (Pellon side) and sew it all together, after you sew it together--clip curved parts 1/8 into the material, I sew mine together 1/4 of an inch. Singe both ends with a match on the strapping, to keep it from unraveling--been there done that :(, find your center--I use a marking pencil sew on strapping. Then do bias tape. I get the 2 1/2 inch- 3 inch heavy duty velcro at Walmart--(no iron on), and use that for the botton and the neck--***if you don't want to use velcro on the neck, sew it together, but give an inch to 1 1/2 inches more on the neck I sew it in 4 different area's together on the neck. I don't do a lot of velcro or buckle there any more. D0Rings can be found by the buttons at Walmart. If you go to a dollar store and get their collars it will have a D-ring and clasp already on it. You just take the whole collar apart and use it for strapping and other supplies.

Here are some pictures of the neck sewn together. Some of the different ways I sewed the neck together. the neck part just slips over--no velcro to worry about.

Hope these help.

Thanks

Suzanne Dear....Check out the d-ring in the first part of me posting harnesses--YOU should be able to see the D-ring on that-i think its page one--the 4th of July, Camoe ones you can see it pretty good--use a magnifying glass if you can't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linus
    I think I must have been highly intoxicated when I volunteered to help sew harnesses for CTDR. :mad4:
    Word to the wise...if your going to make them, buy your supplies in bulk, it'll save you $ in the long run. I buy all my webbing no less then 5 yards at a time, clips and D rings no less then 25.

Tex if they already have a harness just trace that, and if you don't say something here as to the girth that way you should be able to get a pretty good fit. I'm sure some of us could send you a pattern. I know I have the sizes of my two and I copied Mylissa's harnesses to get a bit of variety (places with big copiers are good to, though I say I'm going to do that I've yet to).

This site has some free patterns as well.
    http://www.sewing.circleofcrafters.com/

As for books or patterns I can't help you, I have a McCalls pattern here I bought for the leash pouch and after 18 months I finally decided to sit and read the directions this week (still no leash pouch, but I did buy a zipper for it, baby steps).

I love the fact you want to harness all the fosters...my original vision was to have every dog placed with DDRTX given a harness...ok a bit much for one who works for time...but in time.

"It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's the doxies you have beside you!"
    Nicole, Mom of the Doxie Duo