Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any advice...

Thanks

Default Any advice...

On walking two dogs at once? I am doing pretty well, it's just weird..:duh:

I am walking with my shoulders back to show them that I am leader, and all that jazz...

Thanks

You want weird? Talking to the one who walks 10 at a time (not very well thanks to Darwin) use NON retractable leashes. 4-6 feet at the most. You've got 2 hands, you'll get used to it.

Thanks

One on one side and one on the other with short leashes. That way they won't criss cross back and forth and get the leashes tangled.
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks

I have managed to master walking two dogs on retractable leashes.....I just put one leash in each hand and the dogs stay fairly well un-tangled. Of course, that skill was more useful when we lived in an apartment and were going out for a potty walk. I still can't get my two to pee with in 5 yards of each other on leash....off leash, whole other story.:duh:

For regular walks I have to agree that I like short non-retractable leashes. My two very quickly adopted their own "side" and now if I put their leashes in the wrong hands, they let me know! (Usually in the form of my almost doing a face plant 'cause they keep crossing the leashes in front of me. Good luck!!!:cheer2:
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks

We have retractable leashes and I just switch hands when they intertwine. I keep Rigby's locked on 4-6 foot range and Butters just heels without having to lock his. (He heels off leash, too- in the house or outside. He walks and if I stop, he stops. It's fun to keep stopping and starting- he's SO good!)

Rigby is more of a problem. She pulls a lot, so I prefer to walk her with Paul so I can work with her on her pulling.

You'll get used to it with practice. Do you have harnesses? I love having a harness on mine- I have more control and they're safer.
    Tracy, Mr. Butters, Rigby, Ariana Marie & Isabella Charlotte

Thanks

Lucky for everyone w/ retractable leashes you've never been faced with some of Lee Annes walks It only takes 1 bite to snap that leash so keep that in mind.
    I say short leashes ...4 ft... start with one on either side ...the next thing you know you'll be walking both on one side w/ one hand free....
    Andrea and Lee Anne are the masters of the multi-dog walk.
    I just recently managed to get 3 to some sorta science ..where we actually enjoy ourselves :banana:

Thanks

For serious walking (not just going potty walking) you can get a leash coupler. I got one now that I walk 3. But I just hook Laika and Owen together. Mostly so Salsa doesn't get yanked off her silly itty bitty feets.
    I don't have much problem walking 3 though..you get used to it pretty fast.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

One leash in each hand works; but I've just recently been able to walk Teddy and Kiki together on the retractible leashes (unlocked) side by side yesterday without any tangling as they have learned to walk side by side and enjoy it. The problem comes with the "pooper-scooper" time; THAT'S REAL FUN!!!!
    Good luck to ya!
    ~Eva-Marie~
    Teddy & Kiki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catstamm
    Lucky for everyone w/ retractable leashes you've never been faced with some of Lee Annes walks It only takes 1 bite to snap that leash so keep that in mind.
    She was walking a dog that wasn't trained not to bite the leash on a retractable? None of mine are on retractable leashes until their well trained to walk quietly and one of the first things I teach them is that you don't bite the leash.

I agree with whoever said one leash in each hand. I'd use 4 to 6 foot leashes until you get them trained and then you can try the retractables. I only use the retractables when we're on the golf course though. If I need to keep them close to me, I'd rather use a regular short leash.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

My two walk on separate 4' leashes, with very little problems - they kind of found their own system and pretty well stick to it! Jack on the left, Lexie on the right - - - works for them, and I'm fine with it! Most of the time, I have both leashes in one hand, in case I need the other to reach for pepper spray to ward off a loose dog.