Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default I need info stat!

Yesterday Bruno had his physical at the vet. When I first got Bruno a year ago they told me that they do not give doxies the lepto vaccine...something to do with a bad reaction with the breed. Well there are two vets that work there. Yesterday we saw the other one and he came in and started giving the shots so I asked him what he was giving Bruno. He said rabies, distemper, lepto...I stopped him right there. I said wait...last year I was told by the other vet never to do lepto with Bruno. He told me it isn't true what I was told last year. Does anyone here know the real answer?

Thanks

A lot of Dachshunds DO have a bad reaction to Lepto... I DO NOT give mine Lepto... distemper and rabies ONLY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catstamm
    A lot of Dachshunds DO have a bad reaction to Lepto... I DO NOT give mine Lepto... distemper and rabies ONLY
    What kind of reaction do they end up getting? I am so annoyed right now! And then the vet had the nerve to tell me I was over cautious about my animal. That there is a difference in being concerned and worrying too much about his health. I was pissed...this is my life and my dog and I'll act how I want to!

Thanks

GET another vet!

Thanks

I think I'm going to...I adopted Bruno from this vet a year ago and they have burned me twice so far. First they gave him a steroidal shot behind my back when I first got him AFTER I told them I was against steroids because of what happened to a past doxie of mine and now THIS. He made me feel so stupid yesterday...I am so pissed.

Thanks

No one should talk down to you period! That is rude.
    I'm one of those over cautious dog owners and I'm sure I drive my vet nuts sometimes...but they are ALWAYS tolerant and kind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catstamm
    No one should talk down to you period! That is rude.
    I'm one of those over cautious dog owners and I'm sure I drive my vet nuts sometimes...but they are ALWAYS tolerant and kind.
    Do you know what kind of reaction he could get? I'm a little worried now =(

Thanks

The ONLY reason to give him Lepto is if he is around a lot of mice/rats as their urine is what causes the sickness.

My vet doesn't give small dogs the Lepto shot because of the reactions they can have to it.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I agree that your vet was unnecessarily rude. If this is the second incidence of having a problem with him, I'd definitely be shopping for a new vet.

I don't do vaccinations, but I have always heard that dachshunds do have bad reactions to Lepto and that most people don't give them. I don't know what the reaction is though.

Edit: Okay, I did a quick internet search. I'm at work and don't have a lot of time. It looks like the reactions are usually swelling either at the site of the injection or sometimes the mouth or eyes and lethargy. Watch Bruno and see if he acts okay and definitely don't let them give him a lepto vaccine again.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I believe that there will be swelling of the face and breathing problems. I am sure he is going to be okay. I believe he would have had a reaction by now.

Kim, please correct me, but I think that Leptospirosis is a bacterial rather than a viral disease. Therefore, the shot is not a modified live virus vaccine, but is a chemically inactivated bacterium containing more potential antigens which is why they often cause a reactions.

I think it's like me with my latex allergy, I know I have the allergy and every time I am in contact it gets worse and worse so I have to limit my contact. After the first shot, you would know there is a problem, if you kept giving the vaccine, you could put his life in jeopardy.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI