Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks

My vet is trying to "convince" me to let Reesie have the Lepto vaccine and I'm just not comfortable with it. My breeder told me not to and the vet says that "some breeders scare people away from this vaccine based on old information" and that the "new version of this vaccine" is much safer and "hasn't been reported to cause as many reactions in dogs." I refused it at the last visit and we go back today and I know she's going to push...but I just don't think I'm willing to take the chance with Reesie.

We live in an apartment and while there is a wooded area around us I don't know that it is cause for concern in this regard. I absolutely want to do what's best for her, but I feel like my vet thinks I'm being overly cautious...even though she hasn't come right out and said it, I think you all would agree that she has implied it.

I want Reesie to be safe, but this vaccine doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'm not looking forward to having this discussion today with the vet...I know she's going to push. While I like her a lot...this may lead me to change vets. I want someone who will really listen to my concerns and give me objective and well informed answers. <sigh>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Exactly!!!! Ultimately you are in charge...a good vet will never try to pressure you into doing something...they'll give you the all info and let you decide. If the risk for lepto isn't high where you are, why is she pushing for you to have it???? Stick to your guns...it ISN"T old information at all...dachsies as a breed have a higher intolerance to that particular vaccine. I totally agree though...if you're unhappy with the vet's attitude, it's time to find a new one who'll respect your feelings. Sending for your "chat" with her!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom
    Exactly!!!! Ultimately you are in charge...a good vet will never try to pressure you into doing something...they'll give you the all info and let you decide. If the risk for lepto isn't high where you are, why is she pushing for you to have it???? Stick to your guns...it ISN"T old information at all...dachsies as a breed have a higher intolerance to that particular vaccine. I totally agree though...if you're unhappy with the vet's attitude, it's time to find a new one who'll respect your feelings. Sending for your "chat" with her!

Thank you so much for the rayz!!! Do you know who I could call to see what the lepto risk is in my area...or how many reports there have been? I've been googling and haven't found anything.

She says that in the county that her office is in (Chatham County) the reports are high, but I don't live there I live in Orange County (NC), nearby and I'm not "out in the county" - i.e. rural part, I'm in the city limits (apartment living).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

You could try calling teh American Veterinary Medical Ass'n...they'd have this kind of info. http://www.amva.org Or else the NC VMA http://www.ncvma.org/ cuz they'd have the numbers for sure!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom
    You could try calling teh American Veterinary Medical Ass'n...they'd have this kind of info. http://www.amva.org Or else the NC VMA http://www.ncvma.org/ cuz they'd have the numbers for sure!
    Thank you sooo much!!! :hearts:

Thanks

Thumbs down

I think ( no, I KNOW!) that you need to find another vet! My vet is SUPER busy , as he has the most reasonable prices around, and he's all business, but the one thing he NEVER does is talk down to you.Even though he's always rushed, he will be so patient & respectfully answer any and ALL questions you may have. A vet, of all people, has to know how precious our pets are to us and should NEVER be arrogant and especially should NEVER give our pets treatments behind our backs. That's unprofessional & unethical!!!

Thanks

Thanks so much for the rayz!! They worked! She didn't push. I told the nurse before the vet came in that I did not want the lepto and that I really didn't wish to discuss it any more at this time and no one mentioned it after that point.

She was very nice and didn't seem "bothered" by me not wanting to have the vaccine given. It went well and she seemed to really listen to me today and I am happy about that. I'm going to give her another chance.

Thanks everyone!