Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa
    I believe that there will be swelling of the face and breathing problems. I am sure he is going to be okay. I believe he would have had a reaction by now.

Kim, please correct me, but I think that Leptospirosis is a bacterial rather than a viral disease. Therefore, the shot is not a modified live virus vaccine, but is a chemically inactivated bacterium containing more potential antigens which is why they often cause a reactions.

I think it's like me with my latex allergy, I know I have the allergy and every time I am in contact it gets worse and worse so I have to limit my contact. After the first shot, you would know there is a problem, if you kept giving the vaccine, you could put his life in jeopardy.
    Well he's been fine and he got the shot at 10:30 yesterday morning and when I left him at 8am this morning he seemed normal. I've been at work all day today so I hope if there was a problem it would have happened yesterday and not today while I'm at work. I am stressing now...another hour and a half before I get home to check on him!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

If I had a vet who told me I was being overly cautious about any of my animals health they'd be toast so fast they wouldn't know what hit them, after getting an earful!!!!!!!!! There's no call for this. In fact, as someone who used to work for our provincial vet association, I can tell you that probably 85% of all malpractice complaints are due to poor communication by vets. So stupid and unnecessary!!!!! I think Bruno would have had a reaction by now if he was going to, but let us know how he's doing when you get home, OK???

And just for the record, this doesn't make you overly cautious, it makes you a terrific mom!!! And don't let anyone tell you otherwise!! (Sorry that I can't help re: the shot reaction thing...neither of my dogs ever had a reaction to anything, but they also didn't have any shots past the age of 9.)
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom
    If I had a vet who told me I was being overly cautious about any of my animals health they'd be toast so fast they wouldn't know what hit them, after getting an earful!!!!!!!!! There's no call for this. In fact, as someone who used to work for our provincial vet association, I can tell you that probably 85% of all malpractice complaints are due to poor communication by vets. So stupid and unnecessary!!!!! I think Bruno would have had a reaction by now if he was going to, but let us know how he's doing when you get home, OK???

And just for the record, this doesn't make you overly cautious, it makes you a terrific mom!!! And don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!
    Thanx I appreciate that=). Because they made me feel crazy. He told me that if something were wrong with my dog he'd be the first to know so stop worrying. This is all because I had a list of things to address yesterday after the shots...such as his gums, teeth, allergies, ears etc. I think I know my dog the best...I am with him all the time after all not the vet and my dog can't speak for himself! I think the vet was just going to swoop in give him his shots and leave.

They didn't want a stool sample or heartworm test...does this sound right?

Thanks

Both of my pups have recieved the lepto shot. We go to the dog park a lot and it is surronded by woodsey areas. We did not have a problem at all!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lala25
    Thanx I appreciate that=). Because they made me feel crazy. He told me that if something were wrong with my dog he'd be the first to know so stop worrying. This is all because I had a list of things to address yesterday after the shots...such as his gums, teeth, allergies, ears etc. I think I know my dog the best...I am with him all the time after all not the vet and my dog can't speak for himself! I think the vet was just going to swoop in give him his shots and leave.

They didn't want a stool sample or heartworm test...does this sound right?
    The number of things I've nipped in the bud because I'm attentive to my dogs' health is legion, esp. with Maxe (with Alex, I've at least caught things early, and got her onto treatment as needed. In fact, Laura told me yesterday that if I hadn't done that, Alex would have been dead years ago ). You're absolutely right, you spend time with him, and know what's normal and abnormal behaviour...I can't believe he'd say something so stupid. Better to get something checked out and find it's nothing then to ignore it and have to deal with a major health issue when it's too late.

As for the tests, I honestly can't remember...it's been a very long time since I had a dog in for something simple like a routine check-up But I seem to think that my vets have always asked if I wanted either done, but not done it automatically, since it's an additional cost. But if he's around other dogs, or you live in a heartworm area, then a good idea to have it done. (We don't have heartworm...yet...in NS, but it never hurts to have a fecal done for worms, esp. with a young dog.)

Get thee to another vet stat!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Laika had a reaction to lepto vaccine. Her face swelled and she got hives. It happened within 15 minutes of receiving the shot....she got a shot of antihistimine and was watched at the vet for a few hours and was fine. Owen isn't reactive to it as far as I know but I don't give it to any of them now. My vet said she hasn't seen a case of leptospirosis in the 15 years she's been practicing in the area so....I guess it's ok for us not to get it. Although Laika does kill rodents occasionally...
    When was your dog's last heartworm test? Should be done once a year...I get ours in the spring though before I put them on the preventative for the summer (I am in Michigan)
    Last edited by areese; 09-21-2007 at 08:42 AM.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Well he's on an antihistamine for his allergies anyways so maybe that voided out any negative reactions if he was to have them? But it's only 10mg twice a day so maybe not? I'm no vet lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lala25
    Well he's on an antihistamine for his allergies anyways so maybe that voided out any negative reactions if he was to have them? But it's only 10mg twice a day so maybe not? I'm no vet lol.
    Sorry to change the subject but what kind of allegies does he have and what kind of food do you feed him.?

Thanks

My vet told me that doxies, particulary red doxies, can have an allergic reaction to the lepto vaccine and the Lyme vaccine. We do give both (because we live in Lyme disease capital of America and also have wild critters everywhere) but our vet does not give both vaccines at the same time...they wait 2 weeks between and she gives each vaccine with a small dilution of distilled water and in two places rather than just one. She says it minimizes any chance of the reaction. So far, so good...neither one of my girls has had a reaction and we wait at the vet's for about 30 minutes after the vaccine is given. My brother's doggy, on the other hand, did have an allergic reaction. But his vet does not give the lepto in two places or with distilled water. He has sworn off the vaccine - and I don't blame him...so scary!!! I know a lot of people who don't get the vaccines b/c of the chance of the reaction, so I think it's a matter of preference.
    Robyne - mom to Bayley & Braydi
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catstamm
    Sorry to change the subject but what kind of allegies does he have and what kind of food do you feed him.?
    Not sure exactly if it's all food or environmental related or a combo of alot of things. I feed him Fromm which is an all natural organic food free of corn and wheat and all other possible triggers. He does really well on it but still gets the itchies without the antihistamine.