Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsquared
    My vet told me that doxies, particulary red doxies, can have an allergic reaction to the lepto vaccine and the Lyme vaccine. We do give both (because we live in Lyme disease capital of America and also have wild critters everywhere) but our vet does not give both vaccines at the same time...they wait 2 weeks between and she gives each vaccine with a small dilution of distilled water and in two places rather than just one. She says it minimizes any chance of the reaction. So far, so good...neither one of my girls has had a reaction and we wait at the vet's for about 30 minutes after the vaccine is given. My brother's doggy, on the other hand, did have an allergic reaction. But his vet does not give the lepto in two places or with distilled water. He has sworn off the vaccine - and I don't blame him...so scary!!! I know a lot of people who don't get the vaccines b/c of the chance of the reaction, so I think it's a matter of preference.
    I didn't know Lyme was a possible bad one too. I called my vet to have my records transferred and they tried to convince me to stay and said I could have a note on my file to only see the woman vet and not the idiot guy I just saw. They told me to think about it and get back to them. But I think I should just leave...the lady is good but this other vet I found in town yesterday was really nice and I explained the whole situation to them and she was shocked and told me that at their vet they take the time with their patients to ensure the owners know everything they need to know...regardless if I worry more than others or not! She made me feel really comfortable and I used to bring my old dog there years ago so I think I'll go back. Plus they have later hours which is awesome with my work schedule.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lala25
    I didn't know Lyme was a possible bad one too. I called my vet to have my records transferred and they tried to convince me to stay and said I could have a note on my file to only see the woman vet and not the idiot guy I just saw. They told me to think about it and get back to them. But I think I should just leave...the lady is good but this other vet I found in town yesterday was really nice and I explained the whole situation to them and she was shocked and told me that at their vet they take the time with their patients to ensure the owners know everything they need to know...regardless if I worry more than others or not! She made me feel really comfortable and I used to bring my old dog there years ago so I think I'll go back. Plus they have later hours which is awesome with my work schedule.
    You go, girl!!! I'm glad you called and told them what happened and why you were leaving. Maybe you're not the first person to leave on account of him! sounds like the other vet will just be better all round, so go for it! (In all my years of working with vets and for the vet association, I have to say that in general, I find male vets a lot harder to deal with than female vets...their egos tend to get in the way. Mind you, I've had some awesome male vets too, esp horse vets, but that's been my observation in general....)
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Good for you!!!!! Sounds like this vet will work out better all around!!!!!
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks

Casey & Sophie DO NOT get the Lepto vaccine!

Casey had a bad reaction to it when it was given to him as a pup.

He got really itchy! *Poor guy didn't know WHAT to scratch first.*
    Vomited uncontrollably! *I tried to give him little bits of bread for his tummy but he couldn't chew it becuz:* His wittle face and lips got really swollen!

To make matters worse......I was NOT advised of the side effects! :mad2:

Thanks

I'm late on this, but here is my 2 cents worth.
    Thanx I appreciate that=). Because they made me feel crazy. He told me that if something were wrong with my dog he'd be the first to know so stop worrying. This is all because I had a list of things to address yesterday after the shots...such as his gums, teeth, allergies, ears etc. I think I know my dog the best...I am with him all the time after all not the vet and my dog can't speak for himself! I think the vet was just going to swoop in give him his shots and leave.

They didn't want a stool sample or heartworm test...does this sound right?
    Your vet would NOT known something was wrong with your pet is sick unless you tell him. That guy is an idiot. I would transfer Bruno's records to the other vet you "found" in town immediately. Vets are supposed to take the time to explain things to their clients so they are at ease about their pets health. Taking a list of questions or concerns about your pet to the vet is a very good idea.

My vet does not recommend Lepto vaccine because it can be fatal in small dogs. However, each vet has a different
    opinion on vaccines. My vet does not give Lyme, Corona, Giardia or Lepto vaccines. The basic vaccines are DHPP
    (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus), Rabies and Bordetella if needed.

In adult dogs we don't always take a stool sample unless the guardian has seen worms. If he hasn't had a heartworm test in the past year, one should have been given.

Good luck!

p.s. Leptospirosis is a bacterial.
    Last edited by Patt; 09-21-2007 at 02:33 PM.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Jen Guest

Change Vets. Don't feel bad, you want somewhere you don't have to worry which vet in the practice you see. Plus if the woman was on vacation and you had an emergency, you'd be stuck.

Tasha had a clinic we liked in Manhattan, then we moved to Brooklyn and tried a clinic there and hated it. So we may make the hour + schlep back to Manhattan for a clinic we like and trust.

Thanks

It's bacterial, and there are several active variants, so even dogs who have been vaccinated could still get leptospirosis because the vaccine doesn't cover them all.

I would not freak out that he got the vaccination; as akiss mentioned, many dachshunds have no problem with this vaccine. It just happens to be higher risk than other vaccines, especially with dachshunds.

As far as when he would have the reaction, there are different types of allergic reactions/sensitivities - if he was going to have a life-threatening anaphylactic shock reaction, it would most likely happen immediately (this is why they tell you to wait around for 15 minutes after you get a flu shot - just in case you stop breathing and they have to stab you with an Epi-Pen ). Reactions can occur up to several days later, but they are likely to be milder.

My Tristan had a reaction to lepto; it happened about 8-10 hours after the shot. His face swelled up and was itchy. As Lisa mentioned, the reactions can become more severe with subsequent exposure, so we did not give that vaccine to him again. It is possible that Bruno's daily antihistamine did prevent a reaction, but it's equally or more likely that he wasn't going to have a reaction in the first place (as to whether that dose was potent enough to prevent a reaction... I don't know just from knowing it was "10mg" since there are several antihistamines and 10mg of diphenhydramine is not the same as 10mg of hydroxyzine, etc.).

Agree that you should leave this vet. He doesn't seem at all interested in listening to your concerns and seems to have forgotten that he is working for YOU (and Bruno) and not the other way around. Obviously a vet does not have to agree 100% with every decision you make, but he should take the time to explain why he feels the way he does. The new vet you found sounds great!
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

I did alot of research on this because Mikas old vet suggested I give her the shot too. She has never had it and never well. This is what I know about it...Dogs can become infected by leptospires when abraded skin comes into contact with the urine of an infected host. In other words if there is a puddle of water on the ground and a wild animal urinates in it...another animal could become infected...The organisms quickly spread through the bloodstream leading to fever, joint pain, and general malaise which can last up to a week. The organism settles in the kidneys and begins to reproduce, leading to further inflammation and then kidney failure. Depending on the type of leptospire involved, other organ failure (especially liver) can be expected as well. Make no mistake, leptospirosis is a life-threatening disease however if you live in a big city, its rather rare. I had asked the new vet about this shot also because we have a cottage that is on a lake and I had heard that if Mika drinks the water in the lake she could get this. Not so. The water in lakes,rivers, etc..moves with the current so there is no problem. Its the puddles etc you have to worry about and a animal would have had to urinate in it to get it, if they even had it. So it is quite rare. The side effects can be terrible, the face can swell double its size and can also cause itching. Its not just doxies but many other small breeds.
    I suppose its a personal choice. I have noted that each vet has a different opinion about it, I have asked a few. I watch Mika all the time when on walks so I am not worried. She is good about not eating-drinking anything from the ground. A simple no or drop it and she stops. Unless your dog is loose and is allowed to roam, I wouldnt do it IMHO.
    Oh yes, if your vet told you that you are being overly cautious...I would change vets too. Its your dog, not his and you know what is best for him

Ft. Myers, Fl Home to hurricanes,..storms, not the teams
    Thanks

My vet got a little pushy the last time we got vaccinations, and it's that time again, lol. So I did some local research and called around to find out just how many cases of lepto were reported/treated in the area, and came up with a big fat zero. No lepto in the shots for my girls. Now if he pushes this time, I have facts and figures for him.

I may be switching vets, don't know yet. I do know that I refuse to have any dentals or surgeries done over there because of one of the vet techs, so I guess I need to seriously "vet" other vets, huh?

Thanks

Good for you switching vets! We did the same years ago when we adopted Jari, one of our kitties. The first vet we took her to was a beeotch so we found a vet we were comfortable with. I especially love our vets now (there are two in the practice). Good for you!!!! :cheer2:
    Robyne - mom to Bayley & Braydi
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"