Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default A Cautionary Tale

Just goes to show that you can never trust an aggressive dog 100%, no matter how long it's been since they've "fixed" their attitude. Alex, who as you all know, was not a very nice dog when she was younger, has been a reformed character for years. I'm still vigilant with her, but nowhere near what I was, cuz she's calmed down SO much as she's gotten older. Well!!!! The other day my friend Adele was over. Alex knows and loves Adele, has stayed with her on numerous occasions, and even occasionally has been known to cuddle next to her on the couch. Here's what my couch set up looks like...

Ramp and place where Alex sleeps when I'm out, other side OK for human sitting.
    Adele is sitting there chatting with me, Alex sitting on the floor, Adele starts laughing at her, Alex giving her SERIOUS stink eye. I distract her, and eventually she lies down on the rug grumbling. She will NOT go up onto the couch when Adele is sitting there, although she has never had an issue doing this before. We get up to get some food, and Alex finally goes up the ramp and lies down in her little nest. Adele returns to couch, but not with food. Alex immediately leaps up and goes to the edge of her nest and again starts glaring at Adele. I sure know that look!!!!! So I go over and break her concentration by covering her up with a blankie, at which time, she again grumbles, but curls up on the couch and goes to sleep. She's obviously NOT happy that someone other than me is on "her" couch. Now keep in mind that she has never done this before (at least not in this house) and certainly never to Adele! (Adele was over yesterday, and again Alex wouldn't go up on the couch, but at least there was no stink eye involved...) I'm putting it down to the fact that she's feeling really quite crappy these days, and that wears a person down, as we all know!! But still...

So a word of caution to all of you whose dogs have some aggressive tendencies...it gets better, but never truly goes away. Vigilance and breaking the cycle before it gets started is the key!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

So true...so true..... and you always have to catch "the look"
    Alex sent me an email Paua....she would like all your future guests to sit on the floor, the couch is hers and she is too old for this crap!
    Last edited by catstamm; 09-28-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catstamm
    So true...so true..... and you always have to catch "the look"
    Alex sent me an email Paua....she would like all your future guests to sit on the floor, the couch is hers and she is too old for this crap!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

So true! I always watch Miller around strangers. Mostly he's okay, but every once in a while someone or something sets him off. Even Cash can get annoyed at kids sometimes.

Alex says that it's her couch and she determines who sits on it. If your guests don't like it, they can get their own couch.

ITA, she too old for this c%^p!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Hi all my DLC aunties,
    Dis Alex. Tank you for telling my mom the way its sposed to be. MY couch, MY house, MY rules. I is the doxie, after all. You'd tink dat after all dese years, mom would finally get it. But nooooooo..... She says dat her guests (my aunties) will sit on da floor about da same time I learns to fly. I been flapping my legs, which my aunty Laura calls my "chicken legs" when she does da chiro (da noive!!!!!:mad but I is not flying. I is old. I is determined. I is Alex!!!!!

tank you
    Alex da queen of dis house (despite what my mom says *hmph*)
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Jen Guest

I know what you're talking about! Tasha has an issue with people touching her toys. Not with DH and I, but with other family members who visit rarely. My brother once really made her mad, just by picking up a toy and throwing it for her-she nipped him (no skin broken). The next visit he was careful to stay away from the toys, but when I was playing with her and a toy after walkies, she ran over and nipped him!! He's like "hey, I didn't even touch it!"

Thanks

It's actually a good reminder not only for those with aggressive dogs, but for everyone - that dogs perceive the world differently than we do, and to remember to watch for their signals!!

Thanks, Paula
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

GREAT reminder... it's SO easy to relax and thing they're "better."
    Lee Anne, Ruckus, Rowdie, Greyson, & Cayenne
    Foster Buds Always in Our :hearts: : Zipper, Tyrone, Gracie, Rosie, Tommy, Froggy, Hunter, Lowla, & Vader
    www.2ndChanceDoxie.com

Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution. ~ Kahlil Gibran

Thanks

Doxie gets very funky barky about people going into my daughters room or anywhere they happen to be together. He is improving but the pitch of the bark.He doesn't come up for air. He says "Its my lair..I didn't invite you...get out!....Oh o.k. Cami says you can come in ...but watch your ankles...and put you food under the bed. :mad3:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom
    Hi all my DLC aunties,
    Dis Alex. Tank you for telling my mom the way its sposed to be. MY couch, MY house, MY rules. I is the doxie, after all. You'd tink dat after all dese years, mom would finally get it. But nooooooo..... She says dat her guests (my aunties) will sit on da floor about da same time I learns to fly. I been flapping my legs, which my aunty Laura calls my "chicken legs" when she does da chiro (da noive!!!!!:mad but I is not flying. I is old. I is determined. I is Alex!!!!!

tank you
    Alex da queen of dis house (despite what my mom says *hmph*)
    Dear Alex,
    This is your Auntie Lisa. If I ever get there to visit you and your momma, I would be happy to sit on the floor. I will be honored just to be in your castle.
    :hearts: ,
    Auntie Lizzieb
    Willie and Clover!!! Ozzie