Thanks

Default heartworm guarantees

Did you know that if your pet is on heartworm prevention meds and gets yearly tests to determine if they are still heartworm-free, but still gets heartworms, then the company will pay for 100% of the costs of bringing your pet back to heartworm-free status? I didn't know. I just found out today.

Juney and Trixie got their blood tests to determine that they are still heartworm-free.
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks

Wink Yes, .....

my vet explained to me that the heart worm pills aren't 100% effective in preventing heart worm. He said that if you follow the protocol and your dog still gets heart worms that the company will pay for the treatment. Here's hoping all our doggies stay heart worm free!

Thanks

Yes, isn't that great for the company to do? I think so. :cheer2: :cheer2: for the h/w free check up.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

Yes, that's why it pays to buy from your vet so you know you are getting the "real thing".

p.s. Nothing is 100% guaranteed.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I know first hand that no heartworm preventative is 100%. I had had Pebbles since she was 8 weeks old the she had always had h/w preventative. When she was about 6 or so she showed h/w positive at her checkup. I was like WTF? I always give her the h/w pills. The vet explained that this does occasionally happen. My vet felt that it was a case of one h/w getting through and it would die in and that would be it. We worked at getting her immune system as healthy as possible and keeping her strong and in good shape. Sure enough, the next year she tested negative. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: As Patt said, nothing is 100%.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

This post is really old, but I just saw it and I had no idea, but it is good to know. In Canada we only give H/W pills for 1/2 a year, because it is too cold for mosquito's the other 1/2 of the year so I wonder if the same would apply to Northern U.S. and Canadian dogs that don't require the pills all year?

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

I don't know if it would still apply, Lisa.

I know that our vet will honor this (or the HW company will) as long as they have proof you purchased it from the vet. They won't honor it if it was purchased from one of those online/TV commercial places.
    Hoomom to Cricket ~ Red Smooth 'tweenie'

Thanks

Lisa, the American Heartworm Society recommends giving heartworm prevention all year long. I would also think the southern states would need it through the warm winters. I use to give the meds Mar through Oct than I decided to do it all year. Better to be safe than sorry.

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/article.asp?id=14
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Yep, our mosquitos don't die. EVER. They just play dead until you feel that false sense of security then they strike again......and again.....and again. They're mutants.

We give heartworm year round. The only thing we lighten up on in the 'colder' months is flea prevention.
    Hoomom to Cricket ~ Red Smooth 'tweenie'