Thanks

Default Isabel and her back troubles

Last June Isabel had a back injury and I took her to our vet. He put her on crate rest and Rimadyl. I was only home with her a few minutes when a neighbor noticed her in her crate while we were on the back porch and he told me about a holistic vet. His dog, an American Eskimo, was completely paralyzed and he found this vet who does VOM. His dog completely recovered.

I called the vet right away and Isabel went to see him. She has been doing VOM ever since.

I saw on another thread that Bogart is doing VOM, too!

Isabel was on crate rest almost 6 weeks and did VOM frequently during that time. We are now going once every 4 weeks. We should be stretched out a bit further at this point, but she re-injured it in August and had to back up a bit. However, right now she is doing great.

She has a lot of puppy in her and it is hard to keep her from being active. Since she is feeling better she wants to play and jump and it has been a challenge keeping her injury free.

Dodgers List was very helpful and I added another ramp and I block chairs so she can't jump up and down.

I am very pleased to still have sweet Isabel.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I'm so glad to hear that Isabel is doing so well. It is a challenge to keep the young ones from getting too active. At 15 Bogart isn't very active, but I have had problems with him being so mouthy and demanding. My boy was spoiled before and now is very spoiled. We're having to work on unspoiling him now.

My vet is a holistic vet who does classic homeopathy. She's been doing VOM for several years now and it does work wonders. Bogart was going every week for a month or so and then we started stretching it out. He's going once a month now.

Yolanda has also had great success with VOM on some of her down dogs and Paula has chiro done on Alex regularly for her problems.

:goodluck: and please keep us posted on Isabel's progress.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Sounds like she's doing very well . I'm glad you have a great vet helping out. Sending some rayz for extra insurance
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

I'm happy to hear Isabel is doing well after a back injury. I'm a big believer in ramps, although sometimes mine choose to ignore them.

for you and sweet Isabel.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Sending some rayz for extra insurance
    Isabel can surely use those.

She loves her ramps to run up. She currently has 3 ramps. However, sometimes she takes a flying leap over the couch or chair arms to get down. I can't figure out how to break her of that.

She also loves playing with her cat. I have a few videos of that to show you all. I just do not want to stop their friendship, but sometimes they get too rough.

The little knotheads!

Thanks

I think it's typical that they like to go up ramps, but prefer to take the flying leap down :D. The only fix I can think of for that is maybe to spend some time rewarding her for taking the ramp down with little treats... like telling her to stay at the top of the ramp and then luring her down when it is time to get down for dinner or a walk or whatever. Maybe if she starts to associate it with treats she will do it more often hoping a treat will materialize - and then you could treat intermittently.

Well, I guess there is also Option 2: remove all furniture from house and everyone sits on floor :lol:. Unfortunately I see myself doing this out of desperation if we have to deal with a back injury in the future
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Something my vet told me about dachshunds and back injuries was so smart: We can take all the cautions in the world to prevent them from getting hurt. The fact of the matter is if they are predispositioned to have an injury, they're going to have an injury, just like people who blow out a disc while sleeping. One minute you're in bed on your back, and the next you can't get out of bed due to pain. I say let them have their fun within reason (provide the ramps and try to keep them from jumping off the beds) but don't stop them from playing rough.

Austin hurt his back by walking. One minute we were back from our walk, and the next he wouldn't move and was hurting so badly. Took him a year or so to recover to the point where he can stand on his hind legs again, but he still does all the Austin things he used to do, and I have ramps and stairs to the beds and sofas which everyone but Grrrt uses. (Grrrt can't navigate stairs and WON'T navigate the ramp)

Thanks

Smile

Glad to hear that Isabel is doing so well & glad you found a great vet. to treat her. Lots of continuing improvement

Thanks

Wonderful news!! Sending some more Isabel , just in case!

Thanks

So glad you've found a great vet that is helping Isabel!

Continued for her improvement!
    Hoomom to Cricket ~ Red Smooth 'tweenie'