Thanks

Default Holiday Safety Tips

CHRISTMAS SAFETY TIPS FOR PETS

Here is just a reminder for some dog safety tips - please feel free to add anything I missed:

Dogs and Christmas Trees
    If you have a live Christmas tree, keep the water stand covered. Pine sap mixed with water makes a poisonous drink for your pet. The smell of a live or artificial tree may cause your pet to urine-mark it. It may help to bring the tree into an isolated indoor room for a day or two, so that it smells more like "home."Secure Christmas trees to a wall or ceiling hook with sturdy fishing line. This will help prevent the tree from toppling over should your dog jump on it or accidentally knock it over.

Dogs and Christmas Ornaments
    Pick up any ornament hooks, tinsel, or ribbon that fall on the floor. Your pet could experience serious internal injuries if any of these items are ingested. If you have a dog that is tempted to play with the ornaments on your tree, decorate the bottom third of the tree with non-breakable, plastic, or wooden ornaments, or decorate only the top two-thirds of your tree.

Dogs and Holiday Lights
    If you have indoor holiday lights, be sure they don't hang so low that your dog could become entangled in them. Remember to unplug the lights when you're not home to supervise your dog.

Dogs and Holiday Treats:
    Keep holiday treats and candies out of your dog's reach. Additionally, remember to move out of reach any wrapped gifts under your tree that may contain food items. People food, especially in excess, can make your dog sick. Chocolate, onions, raisins, and alcohol can be fatal to dogs! Only feed your dog healthy dog treats.

Candles
    Lit candles should be kept out of any dog's reach should your dog jump on it or accidentally knock it over to the floor or god forbid on itself you could avoid a fire or a seriously burned puppy/dog !!!!

Dogs and Holiday Flowers and Plants
    Poinsettias, mistletoe berries, and other popular holiday flowers can cause stomach upset for pets.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Thanks for the reminder Lisa! Great tips!
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks

Lisa, thanks for the holiday tips. :D
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

thanks for the reminder!

speaking of things dogs shouldn't eat ... MIL dropped a slice of onion on the floor yesterday. It was gone by the time I got there. I think Angel (who is fast like the rattlesnake at such moments) got it. No ill effects.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Question can we make this a sticky?

This is good info and I went searching for it. Can we sticky it please
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks

I didn't know...Pine sap mixed with water makes a poisonous drink for your pet.
    Good info to pass on to my doxie families. Certainly the minis can fit underneath the branches and snoop around easily to the water container.

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~