Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Jadaa is chewing herself raw

Ever since we got her, about once or twice a year out of nowhere Jadaa begins this chewing on her hiney around the base of her tail. Doc Carrol says it's some kind of allergy and gives her a shot. She's fine again for months. SHe hasn't had one of these shots in well over a year. Now all of a sudden - out of nowhere - she won't stop chewing herslef. Same thing. I gave her a bath - we use flea control but wanted to see if perhaps she had picked up a couple - NONE> but her area around the base of her tail is red and inflamed where she's been chewing. Doc's in chuurch tonight - the ER vet I refuse to use after he misdiagnosed Pete so bad.
    I understand that no one here is a vet - I' ve just read several of you saying that you have given your babies childrens benedryl. I don't want her to suffer all ight and I have it here - just unsure of how much to give her and don't want to OD her.
    Anyone?
    Sandi
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

Thanks

Default maybe this will help...

My Shadow has the exact same thing. It' s an allergy. I found the only thing that helps that you can buy without going to the vet is a spray on Band-Aid Calamine Spray for Poison Oak/Ivy/Sumac
    Shadow really hates anything put on him. This he will let me use b/c he knows it feels good & he stops itching fast!
    Alot of other stuff I' ve tried he rubs on the carpet & tries to get it off, cause he is picky about how stuff smells. Try it. It should help alot!
    ShadowReesee, Lil' Smokey and Sassy

Thanks

Mamma how much does she weight?
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks

she's about 19 pounds, she was at 21 but has been on strict diet and exercise and is down some - havne't weighed her but about 19
    Mama
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

Thanks

Depending on the size of the pupper, I was taught 1/3 to 1/2 of the dose for a child. I would probably start with 1/3 dose.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

Children's benadryl is given at the same amt for a 12-year-old child. Regular benadryl (little pink pills) are 1 mg per lb. The pink pills are 25 mg so she would be fine getting 1 of those every 8 hours.

Thanks

Trixie weighs 11# and I give her 1/2 tab Diphenhydramine (25mg Benadryl) 3 times a day. I gave the same amount to :angel7: Dodger and he weighed in at 14#.

I believe the dose for Benadryl is 0.5-2mg per pound every 8-12 hours.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Yeah Patt you are exactly right, sorry I am tired! The dose is up to 2mg per lb every 8-12 hrs. Start low and then you can increase if the lower dose isn't helping.

Thanks

for Jadaa. I hope the benedryl helps!
    Tanya, Peaches & Piper Man

Thanks

Intersting about the spray on Benadryl. I haven't used it yet, just don't use it along with the oral medication.

Pokey is 15 lbs. He gets half of a 25 mg. adult tablet 3x's a day maximum.

Is the area raw already? If so, maybe dab neosporin or bacitracin on the area so it doesn't get infected.
    Adopt a Senior!

-Renée and Pokey (1992-2008)