Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default Another Alex Poser...

Alex is losing weight because of her various medical conditions, and I'm trying to come up with some way to keep it / put it back on her. She eats 3 meals a day, and because of her very complicated meds schedule (some need an empty tum), can see no way to add an extra meal in there. I've increased her food to 1 1/3 cans of meat a day, plus she now gets a cup of rice. But the carbohydrate isn't good for her, and I'm trying to figure out something else that might work but isn't carb-related. Now here's the thing...she's on a very low-fat low-sodium diet because of her heart, and is already getting a 1/2 banana a day for the added potassium (her absolute FAVOURITE food *yum*). Dairy doesn't agree with her little tum (or at least not in any great amount). So I am quite frankly stumped...the high calorie things are carbs and fats, and if those are restricted, then what else is there? (Raw isn't an option at this point in her life...her tummy is kind of hair trigger, and such a major food change would not be a good thing!)

Ideas???????
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Pizza crusts? I don't know really, it's just my one of my dog's favorite things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Otto'sMom
    Pizza crusts? I don't know really, it's just my one of my dog's favorite things.
    Carbs...mind you, there's nothing wrong with her appetite She'd be quite happy with pizza crusts, just that they're not good for her.
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Peanut butter!! If you could stuff a kong with some PB, it doesn't take a lot, it is pretty easy on the tummy (as long as you don't overdo it) and is high in fat and protein.

In fact, you can give her PB & nana in a kong...geez, now I'M hungry!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Duchie says low fat cheese.

of course, Cheese is her answer for everything so that's not much help.

Hoping Alex is just making sure you're paying attention. She does that, you know.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa
    Peanut butter!! If you could stuff a kong with some PB, it doesn't take a lot, it is pretty easy on the tummy (as long as you don't overdo it) and is high in fat and protein.

In fact, you can give her PB & nana in a kong...geez, now I'M hungry!
    Well, see, I ran Amy's idea of a smoothie (never mind the dog, I want it for myself ) past Laura, and she said that the nanner and low fat yogurt (a little bit) was a good idea, but nixed the PB cuz it's too high in fat. (I'd give a lot to have a dog that needed weight taken off...I know how to do THAT! )
    Paula & Buster

Thanks

I'm sorry Paula, I'm completely baffled for more food ideas.. Looks like you are doing everything you can.
    Would it be possible to just cheat a little? Sending food idea and she doesn't lose any more weight.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Is she very thin?? My old dog lost weight due to her inactivity...lost some muscle and was finally at the weight I tried to get her to her whole life...but she wasn't thin really...her butt and legs were thin but she wasn't ribby or bony otherwise...
    It seems hard to think of something to put weight on ehr without carbs, dairy, or peanut butter...is there reduced fat peanut butter you could use in the smoothie? Increase the banana to a whole one?? I also make smoothies with ground chicken breast and yogurt..
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by areese
    Is she very thin?? My old dog lost weight due to her inactivity...lost some muscle and was finally at the weight I tried to get her to her whole life...but she wasn't thin really...her butt and legs were thin but she wasn't ribby or bony otherwise...
    It seems hard to think of something to put weight on ehr without carbs, dairy, or peanut butter...is there reduced fat peanut butter you could use in the smoothie? Increase the banana to a whole one?? I also make smoothies with ground chicken breast and yogurt..
    Ground chicken or turkey is a good idea, Amy!!! hadn't thought of more meat...protein is OK, just not high fat protein. Brilliant!!! (Yes, sadly, she is thin...she's lost 2 lbs in the last month. She'll be down more when we weigh her today, I suspect, because we've been fighting diarrhea since Monday night. *sigh*) And Patt, don't tell Laura, but I have been cheating a bit...I kind of figure that at this point in her life, what the heck...within reason, of course!
    Paula & Buster

Thanks

Had another idea...sardines or salmon? an "oily" fish of some sort?? Cuz oil in a fish isn't the same as fat in other meat.
    Although too much of that gives my dogs the poops.
    If Laura says the yogurt is ok, you could still make a smoothie without the peanut butter, use a whole banana and some yogurt..maybe a bit of honey?? Then that is more calories than jsut the half a banana.
    I kinda like ground chicken breast (cooked, then ground up) cuz it is dry and powdery and I can make smoothies with it or just add it to food even, very easily. You can do a bunch and freeze it.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue