Thread: Test for IVDD

Thanks

Default Test for IVDD

In another thread, I noticed posts saying that breeders should get their dog screened for IVDD before breeding. There is no test as of yet, as far as I know. It is being worked on. But right now they haven't identified all the genetic componants of the disease and it appears to be very complex as is any genetic issue. So there is no easy test and no way that it can be screened for except for someone breeding to know the pedigree back for generations and know there aren't back problems in any of the relatives.
    And that's not gonna rule out problems caused by injury, obesity, or random genetic things (thinking of little Cami with her hump).
    Not standing up for breeders here of course just clearing up a misconception. I heard someone at our meet-up say that her puppy's breeder had tested for IVDD and were cleared and I went home and looked it up....either she misunderstood or was deceived I think cuz I don't find anything that says it can be done. Yet.
    I saw a study that was done in Finland that suggested dogs could be x-rayed for calcifications as that could be what made them develop IVDD later in life...but found there must be other factors and that knowing the history and health of all breeding animals was the best thing still.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

That's the way I always understood it to Amy. The only way to tell is if your pup's line has it in there some where. It'll be exciting when and if they ever make progress with the study they have going on now (not sure which university is doing it).
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frzframe
    That's the way I always understood it to Amy. The only way to tell is if your pup's line has it in there some where. It'll be exciting when and if they ever make progress with the study they have going on now (not sure which university is doing it).
    I think it's one in California...UC Davis?

and Segue

Jen Guest

I think the weight issue is a good point. Even if a responsible breeder never had a pup with IVDD issues--if neglectful owners let their dog get too fat, that itself could cause disk problems, not genetics necessarily. Responsible breeding AND good guardianship are key.

Thanks

It was me! And you are 100% correct, it was 3:30 a.m. when I posted so I am sure a bunch of it was incorrect. I have modified my previous thread.
    for the clarification. I was more thinking genetic testing for PRA (progressive retinal atrophy).

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa
    It was me! And you are 100% correct, it was 3:30 a.m. when I posted so I am sure a bunch of it was incorrect. I have modified my previous thread.
    for the clarification.
    It was a good post anyway, Lisa. It was just that I had had that discussion with the meet-up member and had just researched it....it would be awesome if they could pinpoint what genetic marker goes with IVDD. Unfortunately there are few genetic conditions that can be tested for...I know labs and goldens and other breeds get their hips x-rayed and graded before breeding (or SHOULD!)but it still doesn't guarantee anything. Since dogs have so many more chromosomes than people, it must make it even harder than finding human genetic defects.
    I'm kinda afraid that if they do find what causes it, it will be so wide-spread that it can't be removed from the breed... that it just is inherent with the long backed dogs (it's not just doxies that have that problem) and there won't be anything to do to fix it.
    I know many people don't agree with me but I think the stronger my dogs are; the stronger their back muscles and abdominal muscles are, the better they will do. So they DO sit up (and I have them stand from the sit-up to further stregthen muscles) and they do low jumping in agility, we climb hills (and the a-frame in agility) and we do play tug (well..Laika does, Owey's too wimpy) and I keep them thin. I don't let them jump down off high things (like the bed) and they don't do stairs (cuz we don't have any LOL) And keep my fingers crossed (and money in the bank just in case) that all will be well.

and Segue

Jen Guest

LOL Amy, as I think Tasha's octopus humping obsession may strengthen her back. And all of the digging on the beach. I think a fit dog will have a better back than an out of shape one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jen
    LOL Amy, as I think Tasha's octopus humping obsession may strengthen her back. And all of the digging on the beach. I think a fit dog will have a better back than an out of shape one.
    Yeah!! Yet another reason for Laika's obsessive humping of Bob the Cat!!!

and Segue

Jen Guest

See, Laika is just working on strengthening those back muscles!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I think they were referring to knowing both dogs heritage several generations back which is a better indicator than any test. Ideally, when you breed you should know any illnesses or conditions that have cropped up in both lines so that you can counter one side's weakness with a strength in the other line. This is rarely done even by "reputable" breeders and you can bet that a BYB has no idea.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue