Thread: Question

Thanks

Default Question

Why do passive/fearful dogs jump on and/or touch you only when your back is turned?

Joey runs from me when I face him, but touches the back of my legs when I am facing a counter or walking in front of him. Rena's under the couch dweller, Goldie does the same thing.

What's the deal?
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I don't know, but now that you mention it Scooter did that when we first had him. Hmmmm. . . I"ll be interested to hear if anyone has an answer.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

From watching my pack interact, I think it's boosting the fearful one's confidence. In meeting face to face, it is more threatening in dog language. Face to tail is the polite way and less scary way for a dog to approach you when they are uneasy with their role in the pack. Cassie used to seek shelter under the loveseat when upset or frightened. She was the most insecure of the 3 dogs from the trailer in Alabama. They came to me in November, and now, just now, she's turned to me for security and comfort instead of hiding. I think that by touching you when your back is turned is just one step in the journey of healing their undeveloped or damaged spirits, undeveloped by neglect or damaged by abuse.
    All you can do is let them bloom in their own time, and thank them quietly with your heart every time they do touch you, or approach you on their own.

Thanks

I have to go with Andrea on this one. Jenni will seek me out, but if I give her direct eye contact before she's ready, she will go away. It's so hard sometimes to let them come to you...but I know it's what she needs, so I'm working on my patience.........I just want to give her love, but when she's ready!:hearts:
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Jen Guest

Face on is scary. Tasha used to be like that. Wouldn't be held or come willingly into a lap, but on the couch would eventually edge over till part of her was touching one of us.

Thanks

Right. I understand about the whole face on thing. The day he got here I spent an hour and a half sitting in the yard with my back or side to him until he got close enough to catch.

I just don't understand about the nose touches... Is it a grounding thing? For example, some of my most severe non-verbal kids will occasionally come up and grab my arm or my hand just for that human contact. Is this similar to that?
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Jen Guest

Nose touches, hmmm.