Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Jax update-not good-update #21, possible surgery

Ok, first, I already have a call into the vet (had to leave a message) and will try them again when they open.

Jax was doing well. We are being very strict with his crate rest. We set up the x-pen in the yard so he has a place to potty and can't wander around. Last night I set him in the x-pen to go potty at about 8 pm and he seemed wobbly to me. I called John over and he saw it too. I had backed him down to one pain pill a day, and John thought that he just might be hurting (I didn't buy this, but ok) so we gave him a pain pill at about 8:30 pm.

This morning, I take him out of his crate and set him in the x-pen. He's shivering (hard to go by because John puts the temp. so low for sleeping-he could just be cold???). I set him down, and he still seems wobbly. He pees, I feed him and give him his meds *. When I pick him back up to put him back in his crate, he whimpered. Kinda like he did the Sunday that we knew something was really wrong.

The only thing that has changed, is I started giving him his meds in pill pockets as of Sat. I was wondering if it could be that the pill pockets aren't dissolving and he's not getting his meds. I dunno. It still doesn't seem like he would be back to square one if that were the case, considering he was only prescribed 2 weeks of crate rest to begin with (which I found to be kinda short-but I can only compare to what people here have gone through, which usually seems to be 4-6 weeks of crate rest.....).

Anybody have a similar experience with pill pockets? Could that be it? I want to get Jax back in to see the vet ASAP in case it's not that simple of a fix.

Any spare s for Jax (and some anti-heart attack :pray:s for me) would be appreciated. I just want my boy to get better!
    Last edited by Tex; 07-01-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks

Poor Jax...a million for the smiley boy! I have never used the pill pockets. I hope the vet has some good insight into what is going on with him.
    Tanya, Peaches & Piper Man

Thanks

Seeing as bones dissolve in a dog's stomach, I'd bet it is not the pill pockets (which I've used before, they are great). I'd take him to the vet ASAP.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree that the pill pockets aren't the problem..........I hope I can get him in today!!!
    Tex, loyal servant to...

Thanks

for Jax and his worried parents. Definitely back to the vet.

I am not one, but Dr Chuck has always told me that instead of one pill 1 x a day while "weaning" HRH off, to give 1/2 pill 2 x a day to keep a more continuous stream of anti-inflammitories in her system...

Please keep us posted...
    I know how it feels seeing your precious baby wobbly and in pain, and it SUCKS and I hope he gets 100% better pronto.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

and

When Cricket got weeble wobble - ish, the vet was really good about getting me in if I noticed ANY change; I'm sure yours will let you bring him in as soon as you can.
    Hoomom to Cricket ~ Red Smooth 'tweenie'

Thanks

That's a good idea Rae, I hadn't thought of doing his prednisone that way. He was on 2 pills a day from last Mon.-Fri., then is supposed to be on 1 pill a day from this past Sat.-tomorrow.

I was able to get him an appointment today at 4:30 pm. This should give the pain pill in his system enough time to wear off (not trying to be mean, but I wish he would whine at the vet's office so he could see/hear what Jax is doing).

I will update as soon as we get home!
    Tex, loyal servant to...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I agree with Courtney, I don't think the pill pockets are the problem.

That the vet can get you in asap. My vet also had me give a lower dosage of the pills 2x a day when weaning for the same reason.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

In my experience, the pill pockets can be a problem if the digestive system isn't working well. I use them to give Alex her meds, but always make sure that at least part of the pill is sticking out. (She's such a pig that she doesn't even notice the pill's there! ) I used to wrap them completely, but they often wouldn't digest then (the evidence was obvious in her nightly :vomit: ). However, if Jax's system is working ok, then they shouldn't be a problem. Oh yeah...I use the big ones but break them into 3 or 4 pieces so that there's just enough to cover the pill. And Alex doesn't tolerate the beef ones very well...if you look at the list of ingredients, the first thing is chicken, which is OK, but whatever they use to give it that lovely artifical smoked beef flavour (!) really doesn't agree with her.

that it's just that he needs more pred and crate rest!!! Sending tons of Keep us posted, ok, Tex?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xgymnst
    That's a good idea Rae, I hadn't thought of doing his prednisone that way. He was on 2 pills a day from last Mon.-Fri., then is supposed to be on 1 pill a day from this past Sat.-tomorrow.

I was able to get him an appointment today at 4:30 pm. This should give the pain pill in his system enough time to wear off (not trying to be mean, but I wish he would whine at the vet's office so he could see/hear what Jax is doing).

I will update as soon as we get home!
    I am totally NOT a vet - just sharing, and it makes sense since pred is not time-release...
    4:30 my azz. That's long time... did you turn on the waterworks and make sure they understand how TOTALLY FREAKED you are?
    (sorry, I am vet-spoiled and used to getting "bring her on down, we'll work you in" from Dr. Chuck's office.)

for you both and on the side. Love ya.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner