Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default WHY Must This Be So Difficult??

OK, went to Slidell today to go to the Gastroentrologist for my Firey Burney Tummy Vomity Cramps (which, by the way, I will be seen for by him the very next time it happens. Too bad I can't understand half of what he says, he's Indian, I think.) Anyhooooo, I had to get dogfood too, and my quest for a store that sold Wellness brand led me to a store conveniently located next to the hospital! thinks me. I go into the store (no carts :mad and look for the food. What do I see? PUPPIES FOR SALE!!!! Surrounded by kids touching and holding them. Among the puppies were Poms, Yorkies, Spitz, and Dachshunds:mad:mad:mad: I had to walk away from the display, puppies in glass octagon shaped pens, I was soooo mad. I DID NOT want to spend $100 bucks and patronize a store that was selling puppies. However, I was out of food and my choices were limited. One little boy was BEGGING his mom for the "discount" doxie, willing to give up his dirt bike and 20 birthdays to get the puppy, 6 months old and ON SALE for $450 bucks, vs. the 750 the rest of the puppies were going for.
    I got my food and talked about my dogs (got 10 bucks off of 2 bags, all they had was one big bag and 15lb ones) and the dude carried the bags out to the truck. The Mom of the begging child was sitting on the curb and I couldn't help myself, I went over to talk to her about the puppy. I told her she could go on Petfinder and find one for MUCH less. She told me they already had 2 dogs, and then I told her how many I had, and she said that 3 didn't sound like so many then. I normally DO NOT talk to strangers, I make an EFFORT to not put my nose into other people's business. I thought of so many other things to tell her after I left: about how school is starting and I'm betting that she'll be the one taking care of the puppy, and how dachshunds are notoriously difficult to housetrain and the potential back problems....but who knows. I was just so disappointed in the whole store. I might as well have gone to Petland or something

Thanks

well, Sheep ( :holyshp: )

Maybe you can find a discount mail order place to get the food & just have it shipped?

Last time I went to Petco, I was watching the :awww: ferrets :awww: and they were out of water. I told the checkout girl that there was a thirsty ferret gnawing at the empty water bottle spout. She said, "Uh, okay, I'll tell someone."

I don't think I will be going to Petco anymore .
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otto'sMom
    I normally DO NOT talk to strangers, I make an EFFORT to not put my nose into other people's business.
    well, there's sticking your nose into other people's business and then there's educating...and I'm thinking that there is absolutely NO ONE more qualified to do some educating than our Andrea!!!!! So well done, you!!! :D
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

You must be talking about that feed store on Gause next to Slidell Memorial. They've sold puppies for EVER. Makes me absolutely sick. Sigh... Good for you, though, for educating that family.

Thanks

Yes, that's the one. I hardly educated anyone, just told her to look on petfinder and how many dogs I have, thus certifying myself as a crazed dog lady. I didn't do anyone any good.

Thanks

That is where I buy my pet food... I have talked to them about puppy mills, but they really don't get it... they think ( and I really think they believe it) that their puppies come from "reputable breeders" who take very good care of their puppies. One of the ladies that works there sells her puppies in the shop. None of the people who work there are "decision makers", they are employees who do what they are told......
    Ann-Marie and Lulu
    Shelby , Yogi , Sophie & Lucy

Saving just one dog won't change the world...but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    Unknown

Thanks

Thank you for alerting the lady to Pet Finder.

They just opened a store that sells puppies in a nearby town. It's called Puppy Love Boutique. I'm going to talk to a few people and hopefully get it shut down. So many dogs in the shelters and they open a puppy shop. :faint: BTW the puppies don't look very healthy and one is already being treated by my vet. The puppies are registered as ACA (American Canine Assn). It makes me :vomit:
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

:holyshp: Pat. that Puppy Love store must be a chain, as one opened in Roanoke. As we hadnr been in the mall since last November I dont know whn it opened, but I emailed, wrote and mailed and called the mall office and complained. We JUST got a guy on cruelty to animals, and other charges convicted and they took over 750 dogs from him and he still has 200. I was asking why are you trying to SELL dogs from mills when there are over 700 dogs just from 1 guy who need homes .
    The lady I spoke to was VERY interested in mills and rescue dogs and I gave her some websites to look into. I am thinking of getting the owners contact info and writing to him as well. Stupid &^$$%%$ puppy stores!!!!

Andrea my gastro is also Indian(dot indian) and his name is something Chitnavis, but he is the BOMB and I really like him! Hopefully your dot indian Dr will get you all straightened out in no time , at least FBTVC-wise. And some that he will get it sorted out.
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

Back when I was first thinking about getting a dog in the spring, a friend told me to go to that store. I'm really glad I didn't.

Have you tried the new petstore by the vet? I went in there and they were talking about carrying food. Maybe you can request your brand. I just pick mine up in Gulfport at Petsmart.

Good luck with your stomach stuff; that's been going around the office.
    Complex numbers are all fun and games until someone loses an i.
    My Pictures including Emma and Cy
    I'm a guy and I love my pups.
    Brawndo: It's got what dachshunds crave. It's got electrolytes.
    Emma(), Nemo, and Cyborg ():

Thanks

No, I hadn't been in the one by the vet's office. I should go and request it. Petsmart doesn't carry my brand of food. Good news is that this week, I used JB Wholesale Pet Food (something like that) and it came to the EXACT same cost as it would've been had I gone to Waveland, and that included shipping. Now if my luck will hold out and the food will last till it gets here. It's shipping on the 19th, so I think I'll be good to go.

And the gutz stuff has been going around my gutz for over a year now Nothing so far this month, but last month it hit me on the 26th, and it usually likes to hit me the same time monthly.
    Last edited by Otto'sMom; 08-18-2008 at 10:31 AM.