Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: It's the Sh*ts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barb
    Hope all kids are tummy pain free......

Funny, my vet is a big proponent of Science Diet too......When I had Brandy in last week, I talked to him about the fact that she has been so picky lately and he recommended Bil Jac - he said that is what he fed his dogs. I said I would take a look.... first ingredient is beef, but the second is Beef by-products - ICK !!! I nixed that one right away....... I really like my vet too....but guess they don't know all about food.
    Well, I have to say that Alex thrived on Science Diet for years. Laura is a vet with definite leanings toward alternative methods, and in fact believes that a home-made diet is the best way to go, esp with seniors. But she still sells the specialty diets, and has many clients who are quite happy with them... (And may I just point out that it has been well proven that dogs LOVE tripe, and if that's not a by-product, I don't know what is!!!!!!! All things in moderation, and finding what works for you is the way to go, I think (within reason, of course!!! Death to Ol' Roy )
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Not to get even FURTHER off topic here....but I agree with you Paula, by-product doesn't necessarily mean bad! I feed lots of what would be considered "by products" in a raw diet, but I do also feed lots of high quality meats and bones. The problems in the lower quality commercial foods are things like corn, gluten, wheat, etc. I think Bil-Jac has a lot of sugar, or at least that is what I remember hearing. It's not considered a premium food, I don't think!

Thanks

Um, Courtney? I wanted to let you know that it was YOU I was referring to when I spoke of rescuers doing research. When it comes to diet, I've got to take your advice over my vet, based on what you've shown us all. Dr. Moore is Made of Awesome and filled with WIN, but, YOU'VE done the hard work and research and have the experience on what's what.

Thanks

Sorry - didn't want to step on any toes with comments about Science Diet or Bil Jac....
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

My toes remain unscathed, I'd only be annoyed if you started preaching the greatness of Ol' Roy. I visited their website, and they make it out to be the best food there is, with pictures of happy dogs. The thought of what passes for "meat" with them....animals they get from a rendering plant, who in turn get the animals euthanized from vets, labs and the like. What I would give to be able to just waltz into Wal Mart and stick a paper showing what ol' Roy is made of on their display....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Otto'sMom
    Um, Courtney? I wanted to let you know that it was YOU I was referring to when I spoke of rescuers doing research. When it comes to diet, I've got to take your advice over my vet, based on what you've shown us all. Dr. Moore is Made of Awesome and filled with WIN, but, YOU'VE done the hard work and research and have the experience on what's what.
    Well, thanks!! It has made my dogs healthier and so many of my fosters, so I am more than happy to share what I've learned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barb
    Sorry - didn't want to step on any toes with comments about Science Diet or Bil Jac....
    Hey, no problem! Dogs are like people and not all foods either agree with, or are right for everyone. You should feed whatever is best for your dog and fits within your budget. A number of years ago Science Diet was considered the best food available, over the years I have provided it to all of my many dogs and they have all lived long and healthy lives, a couple of them to 16 and 17 years of age.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Shoot, I used to feed Otto Kibbles and Bits......ALL YOU CAN EAT NEVERENDING BOWL. Learned that was not the way to do it.:duh:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otto'sMom
    Shoot, I used to feed Otto Kibbles and Bits......ALL YOU CAN EAT NEVERENDING BOWL. Learned that was not the way to do it.:duh:
    At least I'm not the only one. I used to feed Kibbles 'n Bits that way, too, and laughed about how they always left the green ones until last.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

for any extra tummy trouble and some for your comforter too. Last time I opened a bag of Bil-jac it looked like rabbit food and my German Shepherd wouldn't eat it but he was probably the pickiest pup I have ever known and he went back to his hunden flocken. cats liked it. Nero and Dox enjoy their raw diet. Gave them their old favorite..Evo the other day and it gave them yucky poo. :duh: