Thread: Food Quantity

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Food Quantity

Is there a rule of thumb to go by for a kibble to canned ratio? For 6 years Charlie's been eating 1/2 cup of kibble a day sprinkled with some boiled skinless white meat chicken and has maintained a perfect weight (he gets 1/4 cup in the a.m. and 1/4 cup in the evening). He had his surgery last Monday and his surgeon said he can only eat canned food for 2 weeks post surgery to allow his gums to heal. It's been a week now that I've been feeding him canned and he seems to have lost some weight so I'm worried I'm not feeding him enough. The canned feeding instructions say 1/2 can for his weight but that seems like way too much (he weighs 11.5 lbs). Because of his back problems I don't want him gaining weight either...any suggestions?
    Lorrie, mom to Oscar, Charlie (RIP), Jacob (RIP), Heidi Lou Who & Vinnie

What's Up Dox Dachshund Shoppe

Thanks

How many ounces in the can? You can also add warm water to his kibble to soften it.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Yeah I would go by weight of the food. So if 1/2 a can is, say, 6 oz, that is a lot for a 11.5 lb dog. 1/2 cup is 4 oz....so he'd get 2 oz of wet food twice a day....which is about 4 tablespoons per serving.

Thanks

Yep, that's what I figured and I've been giving him about 4 tbsps each meal. I'll up it a little and that should hopefully do the trick. The surgeon told me he's not allowed soaked kibble for 2 weeks because of the grainer texture of kibble and the little bits, even soaked, could get stuck in the surgery sites and cause problems. He had 2 fistulias that she had to sew over with gum tissue and his gums weren't that great so she wants to give them plenty of time to heal.

He's doing really well and I can tell he's feeling much better without those pesky toofers. And he likes to have his cheeks and muzzle kissed now :hearts:
    Lorrie, mom to Oscar, Charlie (RIP), Jacob (RIP), Heidi Lou Who & Vinnie

What's Up Dox Dachshund Shoppe

Thanks

Glad to hear he is doing better after surgery and enjoying kisses! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

I would keep feeding the amount you are since it is only for two weeks.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Jen Guest

Good point Lisa, two weeks won't make too much difference and you want him to recover well. So glad he's doing better!!