Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kibble Question

puppyluv Guest

Unhappy

Well I just got my 6 month old dachshund on Thursday and I bought her the same food her previous owners were feeding her.. which is Purina Puppy Chow.. which I see didn't rate well. I have a vet appt. on Friday to have her checked out, but what do you guys think.. should I be feeding her something other than just dry kibble? I know I will need to switch her to a better kibble, but when is it time to switch to an adult formula? Around a year? Should I be giving her canned as well? We didn't want to switch her kibble so that she would not get an upset stomach, but I guess we are going to have to. Also.. it's not exactly food.. but.. do you guys give your doxies rawhide? I have heard bad things about rawhide. My old dog who was a black lab, golden retreiver mix loved her rawhide, but I'm not sure about little dogs. I have gotten her a few bones that have beef stuff in the middle and she seems to like those. They aren't exactly bones.. they break down so she can eat them. This is my first doxie so any advice would be appreciated. Also I wanted to get a book to read up on doxies, care, training.. etc. What would you suggest? I was thinking Dachshunds for Dummies.

Thanks

:welcome2: to the DLC. I moved your thread on it's own so it might be more visible on the board.

I personally would switch food. You absolutely can feed a kibble only diet. Try to go through the link again and find a food that is available in your area and is the best you can afford. Around a year is when you can switch to adult food.

Rawhide is a big hit at our house. Plus I have started with the CET chews you can get from the vet. Mine like the big rawhides shaped like bones for some reason.

Very happy you are here and can't wait to hear more about your little one.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

I agree. Kibble is just fine; pick one you like and just switch the pup over gradually... start with mixing about 3/4 old food and 1/4 new food for a few days, and gradually increase the amount of new if it's tolerated (although the case with most of my dogs as well as my mom's dogs is that the dog loved the new stuff and will eat that out of the bowl first and look at you for more :D ).

You don't have to feed canned unless you just want to. Either type of food should have all the nutrients needed, and canned is kind of expensive. One of my girls is picky and seemed to prefer her dry food mixed with a little canned, so I've always fed both. I like to rotate the canned meats (I use Wellness grain-free) so they get some variety.

I give rawhide occasionally, with supervision. I also like the CET chews and I buy the biggest size and take it away when it starts to get small. You just want to make sure the dog doesn't gulp down large pieces that could get stuck in the intestines or be inhaled and cause choking.

Dachshunds for Dummies is really good, I'd definitely recommend it!

Welcome to DLC!! :welcome7::welcome4:
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Totally second the Dachshunds for Dummies book. It is an awesome resource!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

I switched my girls from puppy to adult at about 9-10 months. Interestingly, some manufacturers did not even make a puppy formula in the past, they just recommended feeding more of the adult formula to a growing puppy. But I think it's probably easier to go with a puppy formula in the early stages .
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I feed raw and highly recommend it, but there is nothing wrong with feeding a high quality kibble. Canned can be added as a treat, but isn't necessary.

I give rawhides on occasion and mine love them. They also like the big bone shaped ones. The CET chews are probably the best.

My dogs primary chewing is on raw bones because it does clean their teeth. I have two that had dentals when they came into rescue 6 years ago and have not had anything since. The only tartar they have is a bit on the canines.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

puppyluv Guest

wow thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I appreciate your advice & will definitely need more. I will post some better pics of my pup soon.

Jen Guest

Excellent advice given.

I feed half raw (NV medallions) and half kibble. The raw premix is expensive but Tasha loves it.

I feed processed chopped rawhide formed into sticks. I may consider larger rawhides since we cannot feed raw bones anymore--Tasha has guarding issues with them. We also give her flossies and Texas Taffy as chews. Supervision is key, of course.

Thanks

Jen,
    Can you tell me more about the Texas Taffy?
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Ft. Myers, Fl Home to hurricanes,..storms, not the teams
    Thanks

My girls were a bit older when I got them, and they eat kibble....Merricks, which you may or may not be able to get in your area. They do make a canned food, not cheap, which I will occassionally get for a treat. Mine were so piggy with rawhides that I stopped giving them to them. I let them have Charlie Bear crackers for treats [3 calories each] and bake for them.

:welcome2: to the board. Lots of advice [and opinions, lol] here.