Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question High quality sensitive tummy (possibly alergy food)?

I think Sammy needs a sensitive tummy/allergy food (no grains!). His poo isn't how I like it and he isn't wanting to eat his food anymore.

I feed him Eagle Pack's sardine & salmon holistic food, but this morning he decided he didn't want to eat it...he didn't eat his full helping last night, either. He is not lethargic and is drinking water. We played our normal game of fetch with the Kong inside the house and he was just as happy as can be.

He is eating his organic chicken doggie "cookies" just fine and chowed down on a greenie. He is happily working at his natural rawhide bone, as well. So, I know he isn't sick.

He sneezes/snorts/huffs when we go outside. Could he be allergic to something? Would an allergy food be good for this, or no? Is he just excited?

I really like Eagle Pack for my kitties, but I don't think it is working with Sammy's tummy. I can get pretty much anything from my local grain store. Cost is not an issue. I just want a sensitive tummy type food...or anything you guys suggest.
    - Amy is loved by...

* 1 Doxie/Min Pin doggie: Sammy.
    * 2 kitties: Juju & Tibi.
    * 9 ratties: Spartan, Jack, Harper, Tucker, Jasper, Spice, Leah, Tansy, and Lyra.
    * 3 bunnies: Marlin, Morgan, & Brody.
    * Fiancee: Ryan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I think he may just be getting a bit spoiled. If he's eating his cookies, but not his food he may just not be hungry. Unless he's losing weight I wouldn't worry about him not eating once in a while. How much are you feeding him?
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I am now feeding him 1/3 cup a day. I left another thread here and I was feeding him too much.

He has poopy butt, though. Not runny, but very soft. I have been giving him a small plastic spoonful of 100% pure canned pumpkin once a day since Friday night. It has helped a little.

Should I switch him off of Eagle Pack and onto Evo, possibly? This is what Sammy is eating now....
    http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Fish.html

How about the sneezing thing? Could he just be going through a little allergy sweep? Every one (humans) I know right now has allergies acting up...could Sammy just be acting up with us?
    - Amy is loved by...

* 9 ratties: Spartan, Jack, Harper, Tucker, Jasper, Spice, Leah, Tansy, and Lyra.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I really wouldn't worry that much about the food and semi soft poops. I remember you were feeding him a LOT. I'd just wait and see what happens before changing food and then maybe changing again.

He could be just excited. My Miller does the reverse sneeze which is a wheezing/huffing thing whenever he gets excited. Or it could be nasal allergies which are bad here this time of year. If it's nasal allergies I don't think to food will affect it that much since it's caused by particles in the air. I think that food allergies will manifest themselves other ways like skin problems.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Thank you, very much! Ryan and I were really worried about him. He is sleeping on the couch next to me and has such BAD gas, ugh.....it smells nasty and he keeps tooting!

Sammy doesn't seem excited half the time when he does the sneezing thing. My foster bunny has to go to the vet in 2 weeks, so I may take Sammy in then because I need to find a heart worm and flea med for him. I am thinking Revolution, though I would rather do an organic method.
    - Amy is loved by...

Thanks

Just a guess..... Tummy upsets and gas may be the food you are feeding is too rich for him, no matter how much you like it.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patt
    Just a guess..... Tummy upsets and gas may be the food you are feeding is too rich for him, no matter how much you like it.
    What would I feed him, then? Sensitive stomach food? What would be the cause for it being too rich...protein or something? I want a high quality food for him...I can't even imagine buying Iams, Purina, or any of that junk, bleeh.
    - Amy is loved by...

Thanks

If he has a serious problem I would feed him a bland diet for a few days to give his tummy a rest. Boiled chicken or hamberger (well drained) and rice is good. I feed Innova and Wellness brands. Wellness has Simple Solutions which is good for dogs with allergies.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/Wellne...d_p/138101.htm

When all else fails I would ask your vet for his/her opinion.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

The change in the diet from what he was being fed before is enough to cause the soft serve poos. If he'd come from the pound, the sneezing could've come from kennel cough, but since it was a foster home, I'd be willing to bet stuff in the air. LOTS of folks across the country are suffering from ragweed and other pollen related crap.

Worry when the poos become liquid and for more than 3 days, and there's an indication of stomach cramping and pain, although I'd hope you could get to a vet before the pain ensued. Soft serve logs aren't really panic worthy, puddles of blood are.

Been there, done that more than I care to count.

Thanks

Yes, we will go to the vet if it continues. Our vet is 5 minutes down the mountain.

Do I give him just plain rice? We have to go grocery shopping tomorrow, so I will get some chicken to boil and the rice.

If it is the Eagle Pack that is too rich, what is causing it to be too rich? I don't think my local feed store carries that Wellness type...they carry Core and Core reduced.
    - Amy is loved by...