Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Plain rice is fine. I was thinking that Sardines and Salmon might be the culprits.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Just plain rice and boiled hamburger will work too, and it's difficult to say which protein is making it too rich. I'd say give him some time to get settled into the new routine of better food, and if the poop becomes liquid, then take him off the food, switch to the bland rice and chicken or hamburger. If you're convinced that the current food he's on won't work at all, try the link in one of the stickies for dog food analysis.

Thanks

His poo was liquid for about a day and a half, that is why I started canned pumpkin. I'll look at the dog food analysis...hopefully I'll understand it, lol!
    - Amy is loved by...

* 1 Doxie/Min Pin doggie: Sammy.
    * 2 kitties: Juju & Tibi.
    * 9 ratties: Spartan, Jack, Harper, Tucker, Jasper, Spice, Leah, Tansy, and Lyra.
    * 3 bunnies: Marlin, Morgan, & Brody.
    * Fiancee: Ryan.

Thanks

Good catch on stopping the liquid poo then. I usually have to wait till it's too late. I never catch the dog who is having the runny poos in the act of having runny poos until it becomes a vettable emergency. Very annoying.
    The dog food analysis website is pretty easy to follow. I love it. Got a 5 out of 6 star food that sets well with my pack.

If you can't find wellness (or whatever brand you want to go with) at the store you're used to shopping at, go to Amazon.com and you can get one of the companies there to ship it to you, usually cheaper than it costs for gas to go to the store (at least it is for me out here in the boonies)

Thanks

Thanks, Otto'sMom.

My feed store is about 10 minutes away...just about a block away from our drive to/from work. I am thinking of going with Evo small bites, but I am thinking about it more because it says caution because of the high protien content...and I am not sure what that would mean for Sammy.

Here is a list of what my store has (pay no attention to their catigories...incorrect)...
    http://www.olsensgrain.com/Home/Dogs.htm
    - Amy is loved by...

* 9 ratties: Spartan, Jack, Harper, Tucker, Jasper, Spice, Leah, Tansy, and Lyra.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asailorslove
    Thanks, Otto'sMom.

My feed store is about 10 minutes away...just about a block away from our drive to/from work. I am thinking of going with Evo small bites, but I am thinking about it more because it says caution because of the high protien content...and I am not sure what that would mean for Sammy.

Here is a list of what my store has (pay no attention to their catigories...incorrect)...
    http://www.olsensgrain.com/Home/Dogs.htm
    I have heard that Evo tends to put weight on dogs. Since both doxies and min pins put on weight easily, I'd prob. choose a different brand. I have a couple of friends that feed Solid Gold and like it. But maybe he just needs time to adjust to a new food, new environment etc. Being a bit anxious or nervous dealing with all the changes can affect a dogs gut too.
    If you are going with rice/chicken for now, I'd add the food in gradually and see how he does. I really don't think food allergies would make him huff and snort. Salsa's been pretty snorty lately and I think it is due to ragweed or whatever else is floating around here this fall. Causes some drainage...like post nasal drip and gets her a little snorty.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

I have a dog with a sensitive tummy and Evo is way too rich for him. Did you do a straight food switch or did you progress from his old food slowly? If you did a straight switch it will take about a week for him to even out. I wouldn't give him any treats, just his food, some pumpkin & water.

Here
    is an article on food allergies.

If he has an environmental allergy, you can bring him to the vets. If severe enough he / she can advise on the proper amount of benedryl to give Sammy. Please do not just give him benedryl as even over the counter meds can have serious side effects (especially since they are designed for humans not dogs) and you need to discuss this with your vet first and he / she can let you know what to look out for. For sneezing they won't do anything, he will have to show more serious symptoms, itchy skin, watery eyes etc.

Tummy rayz for little Sammy!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I was thinking that Evo would probably be too rich for him. I fed Evo and had no trouble even with my weight problem dogs. All you do is feed a little less than you were feeding. I think Evo is a very good food, but you do have to watch how much you give them. Then again, if you have to feed less food, it's more economical. :wink:

Edit: I also agree that too much switching foods will cause tummy upsets especially in puppies. The Sardines and Salmon may be a bit much for a pup. I'd put him on boiled chicken and rice and get the runny poos cleared up and then gradually add kibble like Lisa said.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

How about Instinct, Wellness, Solid Gold, or Timber wolf?

Which formula of these would you recommend?
    - Amy is loved by...

Thanks

All are very good foods. Eagle Pack is a great food too. I wouldn't switch anything right away since he just had a food change and his digestive track needs some time to adjust. If after a week on Eagle pack (and no treats) he still has poop issue then I would consider another food.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI