Thanks

Default For those that do the raw food

I would like to get some raw pork or beef spareribs for Juney and Trixie to chew on. But, I am not sure if the bones are safe for them. Can you give me some good advice?

Also, the reason why I want to give this to them is because I can never find any marrow bones with some meat attached to them. I'm also leary of most marrow bones ever since Trixie got one caught on her mouth! :faint:
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks

Marrow bones are referred to, in the raw world, as "wreak-reational" bones. They are really, really hard and dogs often crack teeth on them. Any weight bearing bones from animals larger than a turkey should be avoided for consumption. Pork necks and ribs are generally okay for my guys, but they do have a hard time occasionally, and I will take the bones away. Beef rib bones are workable to a point, but are also really hard. Bailey knows when to stop chewing on those.

If you are looking at something just to help clean the teeth I would suggest nylabones or other hard toys. Raw meat and kibble generally don't mix well in the tummy, and the smoking or whatever they do to those bones in the stores gives them the runs, and marrow is extraordinarily rich.
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I give raw beef rib bones. They keep their back teeth really clean. I also get the large knuckle bones for them because they chew them with the front teeth and it helps keep their canines clean. You can also feed raw chicken. My vet suggests backs for cleaning their teeth. It's something about the cartilage.

I have never had an adult dog that would even look at a hard rubber toy or nylabone. The puppies would sometimes play with them, but not that much.

I don't feed any smoked bones. Smoking cooks them and cooked bones are not good to feed. I just use the raw marrow bones that I get from my vet or at the raw dog food store.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I used to give mine the beef ribs but don't any more. Sabrina broke her mollar chewing on one.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

I buy the vacuum packed short ribs at Walmart. The ribs are not as large as regular beef ribs. Mine love them. Once the meat is gone they play with the bone for a few more minutes then I throw them away. They are the perfect size for a dachsie. I cut them into 1 bone portions then freeze them on a cookie sheet until frozen, then transfer to a ziplock bag. They don't stick together. I give them frozen so they last longer. YMMV