Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking Any suggestions for home made spaghetti sauce?

I'm in a spaghetti contest tomorrow and want to win - gotta be all from scratch.

That's right folks.... me with raw food and cooking and ovens.... it's goin' down today! I already have the oven up to 500 degrees waiting for me to put something in there LOL.

Any secret ingredients other than....uhhh cut up tomatoes?
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Jen Guest

Fresh basil, garlic, a bit of onion, black olives (I prefer calamata), a bit of oregano. Mmmm, now I'm hungry. No set recipe for me though, just toss things in.

Thanks

1. Put away the utensils.
    2. Order out from Pizza Hut.
    3. Stop tempting the firey fates.

Thanks

Totally Andrea. But since you are all about tempting fate. I would go as simple as possible. If you make it spicy (hot) the judges might not like spicy.

I second garlic, salt, pepper, basil, oregano and a bit of onion (I am not an olive fan, but I know lots of people love them *cough* Rafi)

Don't over cook your pasta and don't let your sauce burn and all should be good. Make sure Bry brings a camera, because we are going to need to see this!

..POGO....PIXEL.....PíNUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Yummmmm.... now I am hungry........ 500 degrees.... woman - turn that oven down :D

No help here....been a LOOOONG time since I made sauce from scratch.....
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

Is anyone but me wondering

(1) why the oven is set at 500 degrees ("vaporize" temperature) in preparation for spaghetti sauce, which typically responds well to "simmering" (edit: okay, Barb saw that too... thanks Barb)

and (2) whether the OVEN should be on in the first place, since usually most "simmering" takes place on the stove burner...

??

Be Very Afraid.

Goob, please check all pots for disk drives before igniting them. Thanks.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 691 Posts

I was wondering about that, Kim. I've never heard of spaghetti sauce baked in the oven at any temp?

Goob, use a crock pot. That way it will be very hard to set anything on fire. (notice that I said very hard, not impossible) Maybe you could have someone else fix the pasta and then San Diego will be safe. Remember it's fire season.
    Patrice and the Houston Crew (aka The Three Musketeers)

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

The first thing I do is boil hamburger in water then rinse it a couple times so it isnt greasy then put it back in the pot with tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Add in oregano, basil, salt pepper, garlic, sauted onions, a tiny bit of sugar, then taste add in more of what you think it needs.
    And after doing the meat you can put in a crockpot to simmer ( if you have one) if not then on the stovetop on like 3( or lowish) stir every 15-30 min and DO NOT let it boil.
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceangirls

Goob, please check all pots for disk drives before igniting them. Thanks.

Lol I forgot about cooking Bryan's computer parts. I'll check you never know though, it could be my secret ingredient! :duh:

Thanks for the suggestions this should be a no brainer right?
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks

Well I am making some sauce as I type LOL. I make some about 2 times a month and save the leftovers in the freezer for a quick meal as needed.

I add mushrooms, thin slices of carrot and thin slices of zuchini to my sauce to help make it a bit healthier :duh: . And I aslo use the wheat noodles, the Barilla really doesnt taste diffrent like some of the others do.

Good luck and as long as you pay attention to what you are doing and dont forget about it you should be fine. Maybe you should set a timer for every 15-20 min so you remember to check on it while it is simmering. That is what I do when I am cooking and I dontt want to sit in the kitchen and stare at a pot LOL.
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡