Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ebmw1975
    I add mushrooms, thin slices of carrot and thin slices of zuchini to my sauce to help make it a bit healthier :duh: . And I aslo use the wheat noodles, the Barilla really doesnt taste diffrent like some of the others do.

Good luck and as long as you pay attention to what you are doing and dont forget about it you should be fine.
    Wheat noodles do sound good! The paying attention to what I'm doing is the challenge! :duh:
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Geez, Goob...talk about tempting fate!!

I always make mine from scratch, but don't use a recipe, so it's kinda whatever's on hand. I throw the ground beef (lots) into the pot with a bit of olive oil, then when it's partly cooked, I add onion, mushrooms, green peppers and any other assorted crunchy type veggies that might be available (zucchini, carrots, etc.), add a TON of garlic (I am Ukrainian, after all!!!), oregano, basil, dill, onion powder, salt (if wanted) and pepper, as well as a bit of cayenne pepper. Then throw in a good dollop of red wine and let it all simmer (note: on TOP of stove, not in it!!!!! ) for about 20 minutes. Then I add chopped tomatoes and let that percolate for a bit. Finally, I add tomato sauce, and a little bit of tomato paste (depends on how tomatoey you want it...me, not too much!) and let it simmer on low heat for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally so that it doesn't burn on the bottom. Turn it off, let it sit on top of the stove covered for a few hours (until cool) and you're good to go!

Or, as suggested...order out!! Good luck, and try not to incinerate anything, including you, Bryan and the dogs!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceangirls
    Is anyone but me wondering

(1) why the oven is set at 500 degrees ("vaporize" temperature) in preparation for spaghetti sauce, which typically responds well to "simmering" (edit: okay, Barb saw that too... thanks Barb)

and (2) whether the OVEN should be on in the first place, since usually most "simmering" takes place on the stove burner...

??

Be Very Afraid.

Goob, please check all pots for disk drives before igniting them. Thanks.
    I was asking myself the same questions.

You need a very big pot for sauce.

Thanks

So Umm how is it going? Please let us know that you are in one peice. I have a mental pic of you and your kitchen COVERED in tomatoes and would like reassurance that this is not so.
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

Total bust I couldn't peel the tomatoes and so I'm gonna make noodles and cover them in cheese and call it spaghetti even Bryan tried to help but no dice! House standing and oven is on 350 lol no it was a disaster!
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceangirls
    Is anyone but me wondering

(1) why the oven is set at 500 degrees ("vaporize" temperature) in preparation for spaghetti sauce, which typically responds well to "simmering" (edit: okay, Barb saw that too... thanks Barb)

and (2) whether the OVEN should be on in the first place, since usually most "simmering" takes place on the stove burner...

??

Be Very Afraid.
    I was wondering the same thing. What's the oven got to do with spaghetti sauce?
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

I think to peel tomatoes you drop them in boiling water for a few second and then in cold water right away and the skin just peels away.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

I have to tell you, I held my breath as I was reading this.....just waiting for the post from Goob that read something like "We're ok! I'm logging on from the hotel lobby because most of the house is gone, but we're alright!!!"

Dang Goob, don't scare me like this! I ain't gettin' any younger and my heart cannot take this kind of suspense!

Sorry your sauce didn't work......and John wonders why I don't even try to cook.....
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Just buy the canned tomatoes. The sauce will taste fine and you don't have to mess with it.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patt
    I was wondering the same thing. What's the oven got to do with spaghetti sauce?
    I briefly considered the remote possibility that she was planning to roast tomatoes, peppers, and garlic to puree to make the sauce with :liplick:, but then I realized at that level of culinary expertise, she wouldn't be asking us how to make sauce in the first place.

I like Ragu from the jar, myself.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel