Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Welp we are back and there was no charge
    He said she is doing wonderfully and she doesn't need to come back.
    He also said she can be out of the crate supervised and go for short walks. Seems so soon...
    Didn't really tell me what after that or how long that would go on and I was too :duh: to ask...I can call anytime though.
    Because of dumb Bob, I'm going to have to keep her crated anyway cuz she is really wanting to chase him.
    And I read dodger's list and they I am sure would say don't let her do anything yet. So it is confusing.
    BTW, I am really grateful that she is up and walking and doing so well.
    But I still am sad about what she can't do. I'm sorry, I just am.
    My dogs and doing things with them are a huge part of my life and I will need some time to adjust. MY life is changing a lot more than someone who doesn't do a lot of activities with their dogs.
    And, since we spent 6,000 dollars on her, worrying about paying more is pretty natural I think. Doesn't mean I am not glad she is ok, but it's a lot of money and times are very hard in Michigan and my husband works for Ford and a lot of things are iffy right now.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Amy - your feelings are normal. It is a huge adjustment for everyone in your family ... and the $$ issue is SO scary these days !!! Just continue to take each day at at time and the future will work its way out !!! to you and many SMOOCHIES to Laika for getting a good report !!!! Just remember, we are here for you and we all have broad strong shoulders...the better to lean on !
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

I'm thinking of you guys!! I hope it's not too expensive!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AgileOllie
    I'm thinking of you guys!! I hope it's not too expensive!
    It was free I thought it should be but since we paid for every little thing previously I wasn't sure
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barb
    Amy - your feelings are normal. It is a huge adjustment for everyone in your family ... and the $$ issue is SO scary these days !!! Just continue to take each day at at time and the future will work its way out !!! to you and many SMOOCHIES to Laika for getting a good report !!!! Just remember, we are here for you and we all have broad strong shoulders...the better to lean on !
    Barb stole what I was going to say...her and her fast fingers! Actually, I am sure she said it way better than I could, but the sentiment is the same.

I know you are in emotional pain, and I think that is part of the journey you are going through with her. I know we aren't supposed to have favorites and that you love ALL your dogs with all your heart, but I also know Laika has captured part of your soul as well. She is doing tremendously well, and you just don't know right now where she will be in six months or a year. Maybe she won't do agility again, but maybe she will. There is also rally obedience that I bet she would kick butt at and it wouldn't be as physical but can give you both the mental challenges and bonding that you enjoy so much.

And yeah, with 2 of us in the Auto industry we totally understand the fear that goes with that.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa
    Barb stole what I was going to say...her and her fast fingers! Actually, I am sure she said it way better than I could, but the sentiment is the same.

I know you are in emotional pain, and I think that is part of the journey you are going through with her. I know we aren't supposed to have favorites and that you love ALL your dogs with all your heart, but I also know Laika has captured part of your soul as well. She is doing tremendously well, and you just don't know right now where she will be in six months or a year. Maybe she won't do agility again, but maybe she will. There is also rally obedience that I bet she would kick butt at and it wouldn't be as physical but can give you both the mental challenges and bonding that you enjoy so much.

And yeah, with 2 of us in the Auto industry we totally understand the fear that goes with that.
    Hey Missy - you did just fine on your own !!!!

So many here have been through this type thing with the loves of their lives and looking to the future is daunting and scary, but we all do it. Amy, we will help you get there no matter what. Laika is one STRONG little girl and has made huge progress in a short time... she isn't done yet !
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

OMG Amy, I am just reading up on Laika now, I have been off the board for more than a month and did not know that Laika had back surgery. I am so sorry to hear about this!!, I am glad to hear though that she is doing better and now able to come out of the crate.

Wow, over 6 grand for the surgery... I would have to take out a loan if something like this ever happens to Heidi and Princess. It is easy to think that you can just start up a savings account for future medical issues like this, but in this economy it is just not possible.

I'm sending lots of healing for Laika!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

What Barb and Lisa said, Amy!!! Change is a process, and not an easy one. You've had a loss, even if she's still with you and getting better every day. But don't count her out yet!!! With your amazing rehab skills, who knows what she'll be able to do in the future?? As for what the vet said...all good, but trust your own instincts...better to be cautious and have her totally well! I do feel your pain about the money...Alex's cancer surgery and chemo cost me $18,000...ate up all the profit from the sale of my house on the shore, but of course, you can't put a price tag on their lives. Having said that, it doesn't mean that you don't feel the pain in your wallet...there's a lot of other things to be done with big chunks of money like that, esp. in an uncertain economy! We're here, you. Love you!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by areese
    And I read dodger's list and they I am sure would say don't let her do anything yet. So it is confusing.
    I would think the advice on "crate rest" for 6 weeks or whatever they recommend would apply to a dog with a damaged disc you're hoping will heal if you're able to keep the spine still enough. I think a dog who's had surgery to repair a disc is a whole different situation - and after many surgeries, it's BEST to get up and move around to prevent complications like blood clots or deconditioning. I think I'd go with what the surgeon says in this case! (although yeah, probably chasing an insane cat is not recommended by anyone at this early stage :D ).

edit: and you don't need to apologize or explain for being upset by this loss - it definitely IS a loss and an adjustment to go through, even if she recovers completely. We understand :hearts:.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Stay strong, Laika Weiner.
    I am sure that she doesn't see things as being limited as much as people do. I bet she rather likes being fussed over and having a queenly pedestal to sleep on. She'll be chasing Bob again before you know it. I agree not letting her chase him yet and taking it easy. Maybe not for 6 weeks of crate rest but I think that it is a good sign that she wants to get at him.