Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default It's a good thing they're cute!!

Figuring out the pack dynamics around here has me a bit. They both want attention, but when I give one some, the other one pees...right in front of me...and if it's Julie, when I yell, Jimmie gets upset and goes after me. Today, I had Julie up on my lap working on her ears. She doesn't like her ears being touched cuz they've been really inflamed with infection and I'm sure quite painful. However, they're almost better now with the drops and cleaning etc. So I take it slow and easy, and she's getting much better. When I was done, I gave her a cuddle for being a good dog, put her down, picked Jimmie up to work on his ears, and before I could even start, Julie squats and lets fly on the carpet cuz I wouldn't let her back up on my lap (which isn't all THAT big!). I put Jimmie down, and yelled at her. Jimmie got excited, growling and barking, jumped up and nailed my finger big time...very deep bite and tons of blood all over the carpet. I realize that he's protecting Julie, since I'm still a bit of an unknown quantity, but man!!! This is the third time this has happened. I hope I did the right thing...I yelled at him for the bite, made them both go for time out on their blankies, and then ignored them for about half an hour. they're such sensitive little souls, it killed me! And they weren't too happy either...then I just carried on as if nothing had happened. One thing I've learned is that I can't pay too much attention to either one of them by themselves. I now sit on the couch with both of them cuddling instead of in my usual chair cuddling one at a time. Any suggestions for doing this better?? I do realize that it's only been a couple of weeks, but still...my finger hurts (and I miss my little girl, who would happily rip the throat out of any other person or beast, but never ever so much as growled at her mom )
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I think you did the right thing by correcting and then ignoring. They do need to learn that you are in charge, and what is and is not acceptable behavior.

When we have to do something to one dog (nails, ears, whatever), we'll separate them with the gate and give the other one a chew or bone to entertain her. I don't know if this will help them learn anything but at least you can get the job done without the other dog causing issues - especially if you gate the other one in an area where it would be easy to clean up pee .

As for the piddling, I don't know if it's best to yell or ignore the behavior... the whole negative attention is better than none thing? Someone else will hopefully have more input on that.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I have no idea what you do about one peeing when you give the other one attention. I've never had to deal with anything like that.

I agree with Kim though. I shut one in the bedroom with me to do nails or whatever because it's too hard to deal with more than one of them at a time. That might be the best idea.

It's a difficult situation, but I think you did the right thing by correcting them and then ignoring them. Hopefully, when they get more secure about their new surroundings some of these behaviours will get better.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

:holyshp: Looks like they have been allowed to do this all of their life so it's going to be difficult to change, but I'm sure it can be. I would contact a behaviorist and have them assist you.

Until you can find a solution to their behavior I would definitely keep them separate whenever you want to trim nails, medicate or whatever.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox
    Hopefully, when they get more secure about their new surroundings some of these behaviours will get better.
    Whoaaaa, did the Texan just spell that word "behavioUrs?"

Yes, I think she did :faint:

The more I think about it, if this is a pattern of behavioUr (oh cr_p I can't believe I wrote that) where they pee when they don't get the attention they want, it might be better to ignore. Although I know that is easier said than done. I wouldn't ignore piddling in the wrong location (such as we have here , e.g. living room rug) because that can easily become a habit, but "attention piddling" might just warrant the half hour of ignoring. I am NOT an expert on this though. Not at all.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

It might be another form of submissive peeing. Also, never a good idea to yell at them for peeing. This only reinforces it. When they pee in the wrong place, just ignore it, (which is extremely hard) and just clean it up and have a good bottle of anti-pee stuff to spray on it. I know one person who used to clean the floor and while doing so, tell the floor it was a bad floor.

I think the ideas of separating them is a good idea during this type of stress. Dogs do not like nail primping or ear cleaning. :(

Also, I've noticed this in a few of your other posts, but it is not a good idea to compare them to any other dogs you have already had. Otherwise, you'll never see the special things about your new dogs. You will always be looking at their shortcomings. A long time ago, I did that with some dogs and someone pointed out that the new ones were not my previous dogs and that I should appreciate them for their own specialness. I know that Alex and Maxe were very special, but Jimmie and Julie are special in the here and now. Also, you are still learning about their personalities, and they are still learning about your personality.
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks

Actually I think I understand the root of the problem, which is that their poor mom, who had both lung cancer and a brain tumour, was so very very sick the last 2 years before she crossed, that they got to do pretty much whatever they wanted. I was speaking with her brother this afternoon (he's still going to pay the vet bills!! :cheer2::cheer2: ), and he said that everyone was after her to get rid of the dogs when she was diagnosed, but that she refused, and in fact, because of them got evicted from her apartment. I can't imagine being terminally ill and everyone wanting to get rid of the few sources of comfort you have!! So they're just not used to being told no, and in typical dachsie fashion, they do NOT like it!!! They've been shipped from pillar to post over the last few months, and have lost their mom and whole world, and are a) confused and seeking comfort, and b) testing their boundaries.

As for the peeing, I NEVER yell at them (or any other dog) for anything unless I catch them in the act. Peeing is no big deal in and of itself...Alex desensitized me to that!!...but this was not submissive peeing, it was spite peeing (and I'm sorry, but I DO think dogs do things out of spite.) If you don't correct them when they're being disobedient right in front of you, how are they going to know that's not acceptable behaviour? Jimmie was protecting his sister, not from the ear cleaning (when doing that stuff, they're fine together...it's the attention seeking, like sibling rivalry that's the issue here), but because I yelled at her for peeing,and I totally get that, but he can't be biting me or anyone else. They have remarkably good temperaments; despite their health being very neglected, these two were obviously very well loved. And I'm very fond of them.

If I compare them to Alex, well, it's hard not to, since she only crossed 6 weeks ago, and has been my life, heart, and soul for the last 15 years, and I REALLY didn't want any more dogs for at least 6 months (til after Buda). But stuff happens and you roll with it, and these guys came into my life for a reason. Not sure what it is just yet, but will no doubt figure it out! Apart from the peeing thing, they're pretty much perfect dogs, but we do need to sort this out.
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceangirls
    Whoaaaa, did the Texan just spell that word "behavioUrs?"

Yes, I think she did :faint:
    Come on over to the dark side, Kim!!! I've obviously already corrupted Patrice!! :evilgrin:
    Paula & Buster

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

You and all those English books I read. :D
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I agree that you need to correct them when they pee in front of you and also when he bites or growls...just worried about you getting hurt. I imagine it's kinda hard...cuz you feel bad for them...poor little fatties...cuz their whole world has been shaken up, they've gotten all that vetting and teeth pulled and all that. But it will just make it worse of course to let it go.
    Do they wear collars or harnesses? It might be good to have one on James in case he gets bitey again. You could leave a short loop/leash attached to him so you would be able to take ahold of that for a correction if he bites again. He really has to know that's a very bad thing...a quick jerk on a collar often gets their attention.
    I'm very much more for a quick stern correction that is serious enough to really get their attention, than for a time out. I'm not sure they understand after the first few moments what it is you are mad about or why they are being ignored.
    I'm sure things will get easier as you guys get to know each other better.
    They are so so cute. And lucky to have you.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue