Thanks

Default HELP - Oscar Chewed a hole in himself.

This is very upsetting for me and I would really appreciate any advice of how to help my wee pet.

My little Oscar was neutered when he was six months old, because he was constantly trying to mount my other pup Tigger, when he had erections his penis kept getting stuck and wouldn't go in again. It was very distressing for him, plus there was a big risk of infection. He will be 9 in August.

A month ago I noticed he was licking at himself and chewing at this penis. He would have a full erection, when I caught him in the act I would gently set him outside in the fresh air and it deflate very quickly!

Two weeks I found blood in his bed, I took him to the vet who examined him, he couldn't determine where the blood came from so he gave him an antibiotic injection in case of infection and told me to keep an eye on him.

I then noticed that his poo was black so I intended to take him back to the vet when I finished work. When I arrived home at lunch time, he was lying in a pool of blood. The vet did an emergency operation in case there was internal bleeding. Everything was clear, nothing serious wrong with him.... except....

He had chewed a hole in his penis, that explained all the blood. He got home the next day with 4 stitches in his belly, he was very subdued for about a week. The stitches are now out but he has started to lick and chew at himself again. I can't keep my eyes on him 24/7 so I have to put on a lamp shade collar on him when I go to work. He doesn't seem to mind it but it bothers me. I can't keep doing this, I'm afraid even to go for a shower in case I come down to another emergency.

His routine has not changed at all, he does this even when I'm at home its not just when I go out. He doesn't do it overnight only through the day/evening.

You will see from my other threads he is a nervous wee soul but he has always been this way but this is something out of the blue.

The vet has gave me an Adaptil plug in defuser (DAP in the US) its too early to say if its working or not.

My vet has never came across this problem before, he has suggested medication if the Adaptil plug doesn't work. He is already on a special diet and taking two tablets a day, plus liquid medicine as he has a gastric ulcer and urinary problems. I'd really like to try alternatives before I subject him to yet another tablet at breakfast time!

I want to do everything I can for him to make life a bit more enjoyable for him as he has been through so much.

Thanks

OMG, I have no suggestions at all, sadly. Wish I could help!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I've never heard of this exact problem before. I do know that licking/chewing on themselves can be a sign of allergies. I had one dog that would occasionally lick himself raw when his allergies flared up.

Does he do it only when you are gone or also if you are there? If it's only when you are gone, it could be separation anxiety. Separation anxiety will cause them to do odd things.

As far as the using the "cone of shame", if it doesn't bother him I wouldn't worry about it. At least it will keep him from harming himself and from the chewing on himself from becoming a habit.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

ITA with Patrice. You are probably bothered more than he is, and keeping him safe and healthy is foremost. You might consider allergy testing.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

My first thought was an infection or allergic reaction (it hurts or is itchy). Wen would chew his feet til they bled because of skin allergies. I've heard of the erection problem, but it's really rare, from my understanding. I'm assuming your vet's had a good look at the "offending organ" . I'm also wondering if, since he's prone to UTIs, and is peeing a lot, if there's not a bit of a yeast infection in his sheath (like with horses). Maybe it's driving him nuts! And if he's a bit obsessive anyway, once he gets chewing, he may not know how to stop (although you'd think it would hurt! ) I wonder if some acupuncture would help him with things...it really worked well with some of Wen's issues.

At any rate, sending along a bunch of healing, calming for poor Oscar, and a few for his mom.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pixel has a lick granuloma on his leg. We have to keep a kong cone on him when ever we are not with him. We use the Kong one because is it soft and doesn't bother him at all.

I would totally recommend it for Oscar. Also maybe some laser therapy to help heal the area?

This
    is the type we use.

This is what it looks like on Pixel.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Awww, sweet Pixel
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

It could be that he's itchy there. Perhaps just a yeast infection?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would his urine tested. Not all UTU have standard symptoms.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alfina For This Useful Post: