Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Bad Mommy!!!(Pippit ate chocolate!!)

I made some Valentine chocolate lollipops for Pippit's daycare people. Put them in a bag and hid it and was getting ready to put them each in a little bag when the phone rang. As I'm talking I can hear the russeling of a bag. I call Pippit and he comes.....When I go to investigate, he ate a lollipop!:scared1: It was one small WHITE chocolate lollipop. Should I be as freaked out as I am???

Mom to Dachshunds: Pippit, IzzyBean and Calli

Thanks

Just watch him. Last year around Easter Bailey found and ate (while being "watched" by a roommate) an entire Cadburry Egg and he was fine, no loose poopies are anything. He has also gotten into Raisinets and was fine then too. Doxies tend to have iron stomachs.
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks

He should be fine!!
    Here is what I found in this link!
    What makes chocolate toxic, anyway?
    Chocolate is made from the fruit (beans) of the cacao tree.

Theobromine, a component of chocolate, is the toxic compound in chocolate. (Caffeine is also present in chocolate, but in much smaller amounts than Theobromine.)

Theobromine's effect on the body:

* Central Nervous System (CNS) stimulant
    * Cardiovascular stimulant
    * Increase blood pressure (mild)
    * Nausea and vomiting

Are some chocolates more toxic than others?
    Yes. Unsweetened (baker's) chocolate contains 8-10 times the amount of Theobromine as milk chocolate. Semi-sweet chocolate falls roughly in between the two for Theobromine content. White chocolate contains Theobromine, but in such small amounts that Theobromine poisoning is unlikely. Caffeine is present in chocolate, but less than Theobromine.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

So, white chocolate probably isn't as bad since it doesn't contain any cocoa???

Thanks

Pippit has a sweet tooth! Not too sure what to tell you as my two haven't ever gotten into chocolate (mommy is allergic, so not much chocolate in our hosue!). But here's some in case!
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks

Thanks Lisa. After reading your post and doing a search, this is what I found...

Which chocolate is the safest, relatively speaking? White
    chocolate. It has the least amount of theobromine: 1 mg per ounce.

Far on the other side of the spectrum is baking chocolate, which has a

huge 450 mg of theobromine per ounce!
    . White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes
    250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog,125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.

Thanks

Sounds like you have everything under control, we need eyes in the back of heads to watch everything these little guys get into.

Sending that Pippit won't have an upset tummy.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

If it's any consolation, both Alex and Maxe (at separate times) each ate the better part of a lb of chocolate and neither did so much as burp (BAD MOM!!! The li'l stinkers are such huge food thiefs...last weekend I threw a 50th birthday party for a friend, and someone had brought a spinach dip thing in a bread bowl, and the little piggie, in front of 15 people, STOLE it off the coffee table!!! Someone other than me grabbed her so that I could get it away from her, and I could just see her thinking "eat the food before mom takes it away or bite that horrid man that's got me?? What's a dachsie to do?!?" However, she did kindly clean up the carpet after herself, so all was forgiven ) . As the others have said, it totally depends on the kind of chocolate it is i.e., how pure it is. Dark chocolate is really really bad news, the white not so much. for Pippit...he just didn't see why if his daycare people were getting choccies, he shouldn't have some too! It is Valentine's Day, after all!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Don' t feel bad it happens. Here' s my list:

Shadow- ate chap stick, chewed a pack of Rolaids, chewed a pack of breath mints & ate a few of 'em, (And I really think the breath mints made him sick) chewed a (tiny) tube of Neosparin ointment, chewed gum, stole 1/2 a PB&J sandwich
    Reesee- ate 2 individual Reese' s PB cups, ate birdseed from the ground under the birdfeeder, stole her HeartGuard chews off the coffee table which she chewed open & ate!!!
    Lil' Smokey & Sassy Baby- got into island cabinet & had a party w/ tortillas, powdered milk & a wicker basket. My sister said that they must have gotten the door open 'cos it didn' t close tight & that' s why they were able to pull it open.
    ShadowReesee, Lil' Smokey and Sassy

Nancy Guest

i'm sure he'll be fine. one of my pooches ate about 30 hershey kisses and he was fine!