Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Octuplets

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Well, let's not forget that up until the last 50 years or so, huge families like that were the norm. Don't see it myself...I'm betting that she's been watching all those stupid shows on TLC re: families with tons of kids (Jon & Kate plus 8 just makes me crazy...I can't imagine bringing my children up on camera; shades of the Dionne quintuplets) and is hoping to get (or already has) a lucrative reality show contract. What I don't get though is how a dr. who could see that a) she obviously has no trouble conceiving would prescribe fertility treatments and b) she already has a ton of children, would even go there. Frankly, I feel sorry for the kids, cuz what kind of a life are they going to have?????
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Yes, that's true, but nobody had eight at once. Twins sometimes, maybe even triplets, but that was about it. And triplets didn't have all three survive all that often and were pretty rare. Well, maybe there were more triplets but only one or two survived to term.

Twins run in my family. Grandpa is an identical twin, and my mom's cousin has twin girls (that cousin is the daughter of Grandpa's twin brother). But 8? not so much.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Too true!! In fact, they were saying on the news that there doesn't appear to ever have been any naturally occurring sets of octuplets, or even sextuplets, for that matter. One of the reason that the Dionne quints back in the 1930s were such a big deal! Twins and triplets are the normal naturally occuring multiple births.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I read that the doctors implanted 8 eggs. The norm for in vitro for a woman her age is 2 eggs. were they thinking? One doctor said that it was unethical, bordering on malpractice.

I also read that they expect all 8 to have developmental and health problems and that they will probably need special schooling. How sad is that? I just don't know what the docs were thinking? Obviously, the mother was not.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Yes, that's true, but nobody had eight at once.
    Yes they have... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28337785/
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

I meant back in my grandparents/parents days. There weren't very many. I certainly know for a fact that I would never be able to handle anything like that!

Its nice that the kids in the article seem to have a very involved, supportive family. I don't know what is going to be the growings ups of the latest octuplets...

Thanks

I can't even imagine. She obviously needs some kind of counseling herself if she thought this was okay!

The risk of birth defects and developmental delays is HUGE with this number of children, and she's already got one with autism!!
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linus
    I can't even imagine. She obviously needs some kind of counseling herself if she thought this was okay!
    And she's studying to be a counselor! Makes you wonder . . .
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Ft. Myers, Fl Home to hurricanes,..storms, not the teams
    Thanks

This woman literally needs her head examined, and her mother will be (and did) the first to tell you. Hopefully, no doctor will help her have any more.