Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default How to Express Anal Glands

Here are two different links to help with learning how to express anal glands...
    \My tips:
    1. Practice makes Perfect
    2. Tail HAS to be at a 90 degree angle (straight up) to feel the glands properly
    3. Do it in the tub.... if you can use gloves and forget the tissue... it's easier to feel them ...

The first is a video: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8...ics-glands.htm

The second is an article with digrams: http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
    Last edited by Yolanda; 02-15-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

I noticed that it was a tad bit hard to see exactly what was happening in the video, so I thought I'd add a link to a page that helped me when I was learning about this. There's a great diagram to see here

on doing it in the tub. I get the water running to the perfect bath temp. and keep Lili near the water flow (1/3-1 foot away). This way it's easy to clean her bum and my hands off right away, and the icky stuff just goes straight down the drain. Then she gets a bath The whole process takes maybe 5-10 minutes.
    Opaleyz, mom to Lili & Jasper - Sis to Gabby Auntie to Chloe & Gretta & Lexie

Thanks

I do it in the tub too. I put them in the shower with me when I bathe them and do it then so it is washed away almost before I smell it
    Except on one memorable occasion when I did it into a anti-bacterial wipe at a gas station with Laika in the front seat, her butt aimed out the door.
    It was either do that or drive the rest of the way to Florida with butt smell in the car...
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Since Rudy just had his done at the vets.... *rubbing hands together* wondering if I should try with Brandy or Toby !!! LOL - BranBran just had her teeth pulled..... poor Toby....:D Seriously, Rudy is the one that needs so often, I will probably wait a few weeks and try with him. Thx for the info everyone !
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

Cool Thank you, now I think I get it....

Quote Originally Posted by Opaleyz
    I noticed that it was a tad bit hard to see exactly what was happening in the video, so I thought I'd add a link to a page that helped me when I was learning about this. There's a great diagram to see here
    I wasn't quite sure where the sacs were. I tried lifting up Joy's tail to see, and she didn't seem to like it ...

(Can you tell I was always the one "playing doctor" as a child?????

Thanks

That is a great article and digrams. Thanks.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

Thanks

Thanks,

I hope you do not mind, I change the first post and also added your link. It is a GREAT resourse.

YO

Quote Originally Posted by Opaleyz

on doing it in the tub. I get the water running to the perfect bath temp. and keep Lili near the water flow (1/3-1 foot away). This way it's easy to clean her bum and my hands off right away, and the icky stuff just goes straight down the drain. Then she gets a bath The whole process takes maybe 5-10 minutes.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

Thanks

Is it wrong for me to be terribly amused that the Anal Gland issue is "sticky"? Too bad it can't be a stinky sticky.

lwoodall Guest

Default what is this needed for?

Do all dogs need to have this done or just for certain medical issues? I've never heard of this.

Thanks

many small dog breeds have anal gland issues, but within breeds some individual dogs have no problem expressing anals on their own (when they poop) and others can get their glands quite full.

Some dogs scoot their butts on the floor (esp carpet!) when their anals are bothering them. Others will politely wait until mommy or daddy picks them up for lap cuddles and will then express all over you. Believe me, you will know.

Anal gland stuff has a distinctive fishy foul odor and Duchie's is very dark - almost completely black.

Need for having their anal glands expressed varies widely from dog to dog - some need it every two weeks, some NEVER have to have any help. But if they need to be expressed and are not, it's possible that these sacs (glands) can rupture.

I am NOT a pro, and Duchie IS due for what we like to call a "butt squeezin" so if you see that term on here, you'll know what it's for!

(often accompanied by "cutting my toes off"; slang for toenail trim.)
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner