Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Patella luxation anyone?

Hi everyone.....haven't been on in awhile but I have a question. My little guy Fritz has a luxated patella and the vet is saying that he needs surgey. Has anyone ever experienced this and what did you do? I don't want him to have to suffer!! Any advice would be appreciated
    AKA the "WIENRLVR"

Thanks

Is him in pain or uncomfortable? If he is then it's better to do it sooner then later. The longer you wait the harder it is to fix correctly. My friend and a Carin who has this problem but he isn't in pain as it doesn't slip very often so she is going to watch him closely and if she notices it causing him to be more uncomfortable or causes him pain then she'll get him the surgery.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

I remember this happening with alot of poodles at the hospital. The cartilage of the knee joint becomes displaced and I believe the surgery involves making the groove bigger so the cartilage can not slip out(its been awhile). I don't remember any dachshunds coming in for patella. The surgerys always went well. Complete healing take about 4-6 weeks. Lots of for your little one. I am sure everything will go well.

Thanks

Mitzi has them in both back legs but since they are so deformed (very bowed) the vet does't recommend trying to fix them as it wouldn't do any good. :(
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

Someone I know her dog had both legs done.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound

Thanks

Is your vet doing the surgery or are you going to the University of Guelph? if your vet, does he/she have a lot of experience with this particular surgery?

When we first got Pixel someone told us he did have a luxating patella, but he didn't, he just walked funny. It apparently is quite common in dachshunds.

Before you do the surgery, I would get a second opinion.

Lots of rayz for Fritz.

And it is really nice to see you again, sorry it is not under the best circumstances.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I don't know anything about luxated patellas, but a second opinion is always a good idea.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

There is a ton of information online on luxating patellas.
    Laika has one very slightly loose patella...never has bothered her ever despite doing agility and all that. Salsa does also. So of course I wouldn't get those fixed. But if one was sliding out often and causing pain, I would get it fixed up.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Friends have a pom and within her first 2 years of life she had both front legs done within a few months of each other. Rosie is about 8 now and a healthy active happy dog.

"It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's the doxies you have beside you!"
    Nicole, Mom of the Doxie Duo

Thanks

I would realy educate myself on this matter. why do surgery if he doesn't need it, but then if he needs it--I would do it.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound