Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default I thought Trixie got carried off by a hawk!

I let Juney back in the house, then turned around towards where Trixie was. Not only was she gone, but a hawk was flying away really quickly! I started screaming for Trixie and looked all over the yard, but couldn't find her.

I finally found her under the porch acting like she was deaf! :faint:
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Ft. Myers, Fl Home to hurricanes,..storms, not the teams
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuneyTrixie
    I let Juney back in the house, then turned around towards where Trixie was. Not only was she gone, but a hawk was flying away really quickly! I started screaming for Trixie and looked all over the yard, but couldn't find her.

I finally found her under the porch acting like she was deaf! :faint:
    Maybe the hawk scared her and she ran for cover?

Thanks

I agree, it was probably natural reaction to seeing the hawk. When we had only Pogo a hawk flew over head, and he went really low and started quaking, so they must have some natural instinct in them.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Knowing how close it's come to happening before, I can understand your panic. The pups will just have to go outside in their own little hawk deterrent outfits. What that is, I'm not sure.

Thanks

yikes ! Scary ~ Hope your heart rate has slowed down....
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

Last year, after that terrible flood, it seemed like there wasn't very many hawks. I got a little used to not seeing them too often. This year, though, the hawks are the same color as the trees, so I can't see them very well and I see two or more each day. It is always a surprise to see them. I've taken to walking down to the treeline which makes them fly away.
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks

That would scare the :holyshp: out of me :faint:.

They're very good at deciding to be deaf at times like that
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Ft. Myers, Fl Home to hurricanes,..storms, not the teams
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuneyTrixie
    Last year, after that terrible flood, it seemed like there wasn't very many hawks. I got a little used to not seeing them too often. This year, though, the hawks are the same color as the trees, so I can't see them very well and I see two or more each day. It is always a surprise to see them. I've taken to walking down to the treeline which makes them fly away.

Do you have bird feeders in your yard? When we had a number of them in the tree and free standing, we had hawks occassionally swoop in and snatch a smaller bird. Once the tree went down, they stopped making us a lunch stop.

Thanks

No bird feeders, but we have lots and lots (hundreds) of small birds! They occasionally try to get head and body injuries by dive-bombing the window in the computer room! That really upsets Juney, Trixie, Mr. Gray, Miss Lilly and of course, me.

We also have a lot of squirrels in the "forest" in the back yard. Those critters like to harass Juney and Trixie. Juney and Trixie will bark their heads off at the squirrels and the squirrels come right to the end of the tree limb and chatter right back.

We also have lots of crows or ravens, and honking geese. Oh yes, we also have rabbits, moles and ground hogs.

As you can see, the hawks have lots of potential food, but they sometimes still eye my little ones. I started putting little white harnesses on them trimmed in red, hoping that the hawks would think the red meant that Juney and Trixie were poisonous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

That happened with Maxe once many years ago, and I can still remember how scary it was!! Hawks are beautiful, but I wish they'd stick to wild critters for dinner
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."