Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default My Sweet Guinness.

It was a wonderful car ride. There was lots of traffic, and the sun was shining – Guinness loved when we would drive through the city, because there was so much to look at. First, we went to the pet store and let him pick out a squeaky (they ran out of burgers! That was fine though, because he had his eye on a Bobo that looks just like Butter). Then, we drove to the Dairy Queen and waited in the drive-thru for treats. Guinness loves drive-thru windows because good stuff always comes out, in smelly paper bags. We got him his very own strawberry cheesecake blizzard, and he lapped it all up on the way to the vet.

We got there a little early so we went for a walk in the field. There were horses in the corral, and birds in the trees. He and Butter wrestled in the grass.

When we went into the office I let them put a catheter in his leg so he wouldn’t need a needle, and it gave him a half an hour to calm down. The table was covered in a big comfy blanket, and as promised I spread an entire bag of goldfish crackers around and he gobbled them all up, tail wagging.

He was so tired, so when I held him in my arms he relaxed right away. I looked into his eyes, and though I was crying (I tried so hard not to, but I couldn’t stop the tears), I was smiling and telling him what a good boy he was. Will stood behind me, with his arms around both of us. It was very fast, and very peaceful. He just relaxed in my arms, like he had fallen asleep. Of course I fell apart, and the vet left us alone to say our goodbyes. I held him for I don’t know how long, and then laid him out gently on the table, and kissed and pet him, told him I loved him, and how proud I was of him. My brave boy.
    He looked so peaceful, like he was just sleeping. His body was warm, and his fur was soft. I just wanted to hold him forever.

Will brought Butter in, and put her on the table. She laid down right next to Guinness, curled around him, and licked my fingers. It made me cry even harder. I hope it helped her understand. She has been very quiet since we got home, just laying in my lap.

This is the last photo I got to take of my handsome little boy. Look at that giant cup of ice cream he got to have all to himself - that look on his face? Bliss.

I hope you get the rest you need Guinness, though I am sure you won’t need it on the other side of the bridge. I wonder if your welcoming committee will be able to smell the ice cream that you got all over your face, and your ears? I know they will be very kind to you – after all, they were all raised by such good hooparents.

I know you miss me, and you know I miss you too. More than I even knew I could. I must confess I did not think it would hurt this much, and I can’t help but selfishly wish you were still here with me, licking these tears off my face... But I know you’ve got that silly grin on your face, not wanting me to worry, and that you can run and stretch and breathe easily where you are.

Be a good boy until I can meet you up there. I am happily waiting for the day that you can meet me halfway across the bridge and show me to your favourite places, and introduce me to your best buddies up there. Butter misses you. Will misses you.

You took a part of my heart with you, sweet boy. Take care of it, please. :hearts:

~;;;;;;;;;§"> Guinness - Long Haired Miniature - 1 year - Gotcha: March 1st, 2008 Born: December 28, 2007 - Passed: March 6th, 2009
    Happily waiting in paradise: where every meal comes out of a greasy paper bag, and every day is two-for-one day!
    :heartbt:Chow down in Heaven, little guy!:heartbt:

~;;;;;;;;;;;§"> Butter - Long Haired Miniature - 4 years - Gotcha: April 3rd, 2008 Born: October 2nd, 2004

Jen Guest

Thought we never met him, he took a piece of our heart too. What lovely last day you gave him. A peaceful and loved end. Who could ask for more?

Thanks

I am so sorry....but at least his last day was happy and full of love...what more could any of us ask for.......
    Ann-Marie and Lulu
    Shelby , Yogi , Sophie & Lucy

Saving just one dog won't change the world...but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    Unknown

Thanks

We only knew him for such a short time but we feel your pain. He will be met by some great dogs up there, and he's going to get to go to the Doggie Sonic and have cheese sticks.

Thanks

Brittany,

You gave him a wonderful life and a great last day. He knew love and so did you. Place him in your heart and smile every time you think of him

Yo
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

I had a hard time getting through this post, I can't even imagine the pain and emptyness you feel. You did the best thing for him and gave him a wonderful final day on earth. He will be waiting for you when it is your time. Godspeed sweet Guinness

I love that you let Butter have time with him, it will help her accept.
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

What a nice sendoff. He is no longer in pain. I hope your hearbreak will ease soon. :hearts:
    Spay & Neuter makes 'em cuter
    http://www.straydog.org/ "All stray dogs to lucky dogs...NOW!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

A perfect last day, Brit. So filled with love, and a peaceful end. I'm glad you let Butters see him. My vet is a big believer in that, and I certainly know it helped Alex when Maxe crossed. Although we only knew your sweet boy for a short time, it feels like forever. :angel7: Guinness will be looking over you all now until you're together again. Many many many for all of you. Please know that we are grieving too.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Many for you all. We are sooo sorry for your loss. It's really kinda wonderful that you could give him that wonderful last day and he could enjoy it still. You did the right thing for him.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

What a wonderful last day! And that was a beautiful tribute!

You did the best (and hardest) thing that you could ever do for your little boy!
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------