Thanks

Question "Roach Back"/Hunch Back?

Hi guys, I have a question that hopefully someone can help me out with. Rosie, my 2 year old "foster" rescue dachshund has had a very hunched back since I took her in a couple months ago. It's so hunched, that she actually almost 'slinkies' when she walks. I was talking to someone that raises Dachshunds and she said that it's what's known as a "roach back". Can anyone give me a little info on this? Is it something that will cause arthritis later on in her life? I will take a photo tomorrow morning and post it for you guys to see, as her hunch is one that, to me, looks very severe. It's extremely noticeable to say the least.

She obviously has bad genes anyways, because she has severe allergies that caused her hair to fall out, her skin to scab over and turn black. She's being treated with antihistamines and prednisone, and things are finally improving. At 2 years old though, her teeth are mostly rotted out of her mouth as well (and she is going in for a dental this month), and she also has a severe overbite as well.

So, is this "roach back" genetic? Not that it matters to me as far as genes or bloodline, as she is a spayed rescue like the rest of my guys, but I was just wondering if bad breeding or breeding bad genes cause the issue like the rest of her health problems.

Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I don't really know. I'd think that your vet would be able to tell you. I do know that a lot of dogs have a slight hump back after they have had back problems. She may have had or currently be having back problems causing her to walk humped.

Allergies aren't necessarily a product of bad breeding or bad genetics. Nutrition plays a huge part in the immune systems functioning. A low functioning immune system can cause allergies to become more noticeable. Particularly when the symptoms are manifested in the skin. The fact that her teeth are bad is probably affecting her general health and could be making the allergies much worse. The prednisone will help the skin clear up, but will not help the immune system at all.

Edit: BTW, I've never heard the term "roach back" applied to dogs. It's used commonly in horses.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I've never heard the term, but Jethro's bad breeding gave him a slight curve to his spine in the beginning, but it's not prominent one. I know of another dog with a pretty bad spine deformity http://www.2ndchancedoxie.com/doxies...cami/index.htm you could check with her.

Thanks

Thanks guys, I looked the term up online after I was told about it, and came across several things, but mostly AKC terms talking about it being a "disqualification", ect. I found one or two posts from others on different boards asking the same question about their dogs, but no answers to the posts.

She's been vet checked since I got her, actually she see's the vet quite often for her allergies and follow-up visits, and she's been spayed and allergies dealt with, ect. Her skin is finally on the mend. The vet examined her back and said that it had a very pronounced hump, but no injuries that he could see upon examination or x-ray. She gets around just fine, and can run at high speed like a bolt of lightning!

Here's a couple photos I have, these are from when she first came to me, so her skin looks bad in these. Her skin is much more improved since then. However, all recent photo's I have of her are facial portraits, not full body. So these are all I have at the moment that show her back.

Thanks

You might ask your vet if she could take fish/salmon oil--its great for doggies coats.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound

Thanks

She already does. :D She gets the the Bravo! brand Wild Alaskan Fish Oil. The parts of her coat that have regrown have regrown in beautiful and shiny, too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Otto'sMom
    I've never heard the term, but Jethro's bad breeding gave him a slight curve to his spine in the beginning, but it's not prominent one. I know of another dog with a pretty bad spine deformity http://www.2ndchancedoxie.com/doxies...cami/index.htm you could check with her.
    I second this suggestion. I don't think Rosie's back is quite as bad as Cami's, but I think Cat could give you more info on the problem.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

James has a slight roach to his back, not as bad as Rosie's, and definitely not as bad as Cami's, but still a worry (Mind you, he'll be 10 next month, but did come from a mill). Apparently he did go down at some point in the last 9 years, but it must have been mild, because from what the b****** ex-husband told me, they just treated with prednisone, and no crate rest Laura checked out his back and did an adjustment on him. She said that it's a spinal deformity, and really needs to be watched, because it will probably lead to arthritis and nerve impingement, which may have already started. I already notice that he carries his right hind sometimes when he's tired, and it can be slightly ataxic when he's standing still. But it doesn't seem to bother him as far as pain or mobility goes, so I'm keeping an eagle eye on it and that he doesn't go down. ITA, Cat is probably the best resource to find out more on this.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."