Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Visiting with My Sister!

Hi! dis is Bridgette. Last weekend I gots to visit with my Sister Mickey and my Poppa, Vandal. Mommy finally got around to posting the pitchers. First we gets a call from a bery nice lady that says something about "Grandparent's rights to visit" and then they comes and brings Mickey and our Poppa!

Dis is our Poppa Vandal. He is nots a dapple, he just loosed his ear hair and is taking medicine. It is growing back. We is in the back ground tinking up mischief!

See? My Sister is rounder, but I is longer!

We played sooooo much dat Mommy could barely get pitchures!

After My Sissy and Poppa left I was tired but very happy. I snuggled my Mommy and sleepeded.

It was a good day!
    Co-conspirator to make the world a better place.

Moose, The Family Fraternity: An international organization of men and women, dedicated to caring for young and old, bringing communities closer together and celebrating life.

Thanks

Aaaaawww, sweetie pie. You must be very, very happy with your Pop and you sister's visit. Glad you got to play a lot with sis... aren't sisters wonderful?? :love9: :love9:
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart

Thanks

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.........
    Spay & Neuter makes 'em cuter
    http://www.straydog.org/ "All stray dogs to lucky dogs...NOW!"

Thanks

Awesome pics! I am glad the girls had fun

Angel still wishes we'd left her sister behind and only saw her for short visits, like that :lol:. I'm kidding - I think she has come to like having Cassie around.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

:awww: How cute! :hearts: :hearts:

So, you're friends breed dachshunds?
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox
    :awww: How cute! :hearts: :hearts:

So, you're friends breed dachshunds?
    Not exactly... their male was stud to a litter and the sister was the "stud fee". The litter mother belongs to another woman that they know.

Moose, The Family Fraternity: An international organization of men and women, dedicated to caring for young and old, bringing communities closer together and celebrating life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daisys
    Not exactly... their male was stud to a litter and the sister was the "stud fee". The litter mother belongs to another woman that they know.
    If they're using their dog for stud, they are breeding. Here's a link that you might be interested in that explains why this is not a good thing.

Backyard Breeders

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Adorable puppy pics. :hearts: :hearts:
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox
    If they're using their dog for stud, they are breeding. Here's a link that you might be interested in that explains why this is not a good thing.

Backyard Breeders
    Lotsadox, I fully understand. I am not too thrilled with the back yard breeders either now that I have learned so much more here. The only thing I CAN say in defense of it is that I would never have gotten Bridgette if it were not for them. A Lot of people that love these little critters wouldn't have either because a well bred dog is too expensive and people that breed them for show or challenges expect them to go on doing that. I've thought about it, but we just wanted a loving family member. We will always make sure she gets to exercise some of her natural tendencies, but we are just not likely to train her for competitions. If not for them I would not KNOW what I know now and be able to speak up about it. I had NO idea about the problems with it prior to getting Bridgette and finding this site to learn more and try to be the best Mommy I can be.

I HATE that some people will intentionally interbreed dogs that shouldn't be. I HATE that there are so many good dogs without good homes. I HATE that so many breeds face the same problem. Getting Bridgette opened my eyes to the problems here. Of course I was aware there are way too many dogs without good homes. We were very careful about what we decided to bring home because we have cats, and there are way too many cats without good homes as well. We try hard to be responsible pet owners. We knew it would have to be a small pup that was too young to chase the cats...

Anyway, I do have to defend the "stud" owners in one more small fashion: The reason they allowed him to be the stud. For the life of me I cannot recall the name of the Stud's mother, but that was their older dog. My understanding is that she passed over the bridge just over a year ago. They wanted another little girl from her line and that is why they chose to breed him. The female that was bred was from someone they know well. I do NOT know this person, and have never met her. I do not know if this was her first litter or not.

Strange I know, but the woman was at work when we picked Bridgette up. She knew our friend with the father well enough to leave her a key and allow us to take her without meeting us. It might be because they are very successful business owners, owning businesses on several blocks of downtown Vancouver Washington, or it might be because they are greedy backyard breeders. I don't know enough about their relationship.

I do know that we paid $200.00 for Bridgette. I have learned that it was a VERY good price. I have also learned that Bridgette is priceless! The other pups went for much more. And I have learned so much here about the plight so many of these dogs face.

I am a very mellow and easy going person, but when I get my back up I can be relentless! I strive daily to make the world a better place. Now I can add this knowledge to the causes I fight for. All I can say is I don't know if they are your traditional back yard breeders. I do know that the stud's owners prize their dogs above all else. I do know that Bridgette is my angel girl and I couldn't love her more.

Gosh, what a speech! Sorry about that. I feel very strongly about the wrongs done in backyard breeding, but I also know I would not have this joy in my life, nor would many others if it were not for some of the more responsible ones. A good dog doesn't need to come from a line of champions, but human greed will interfere with responsible breeding. It's a sad fact. And the results are ones that most people do not know about. Puppy mills are starting to get attention..... Intentionally interbreeding dogs that genetically should not be, well, that should be a crime. I never knew about it. How many others don't?

Thanks

I'm glad you've learned somethihg here. I'm amazed though that we need BYB's so that people can get pure bred dogs without paying a lot for them. I must have been really lucky. I got 2 purebred dogs from rescue. One black and tan dapple and one long haired black and tan and they were neutered and had had all vaccinations. The adoption fee was $200.00. They are very lovely family members.

So since the stud owners just wanted one dog from this line are they getting him neutered now? You can find info on why you should neuter your dog here

DREAM Dachshund Rescue