Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default Back to the pee pads *sigh* Update Post 9

After working REALLY hard to get the Js convinced that peeing in the house is not a good idea, and breaking them of the pee pad habit, I'm having to go back to it. My bedroom carpet has become one BIG peepad, and it absolutely reeks in there. I was planning on replacing it anyway this fall, but am now thinking that I'm going to have to wait until I can afford hardwood, cuz I don't think laminate will stand up to being peed on!!! :( So back to the pee pads for the Js. Rats!!!

Yet another reason why working full time outside the house is a PITA... They can hold their little bladders for 10 hours at night, but not for 9 during the day I've tried to find someone to come and let them out during the day, but no luck. Oh well, I'm pretty well oblivious to canine bodily emissions

(They're not bad dogs...just old...and I'm not really upset, just whining )
    Last edited by Alex's Mom; 07-28-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Have you thought about gating them? Bailey and Reese are about 99% reliable with the pottytraining, but when we are gone, they are gated in the kitchen with a pee pad. I'd say MAYBE once every 2 weeks someone will use it.
    Jill - Proud Hoomom to Bailey and Reese! :hearts:

Check us out on DOGS 101!
    Just click DACHSHUND

Member of Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue
    www.c2cdr.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    Have you thought about gating them? Bailey and Reese are about 99% reliable with the pottytraining, but when we are gone, they are gated in the kitchen with a pee pad. I'd say MAYBE once every 2 weeks someone will use it.
    Yeah, I did, but it's impossible to gate them in the kitchen where the tile is because it has two big archways, not doors. The only room I could close them into would be my bedroom, cuz it's the only one with a doorway...the rest of the rooms are all arches. I do love my new house, but it's not set up for peeing pups
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

What about limiting access to the bedrooms? Jack can't get in our bedroom, the spare bedroom or the bathroom. I keep all the doors closed. He has access to the living room and kitchen, which is hard wood and linoleum respectively. His pee pads are in the kitchen, where it's really easy to keep the floors clean. Can you come home at lunchtime? I usually come home so he doesn't have to hold pee/poop for more than 4 hours.
    Iris (Jack's Mom, valet and cook)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wawailc
    What about limiting access to the bedrooms? Jack can't get in our bedroom, the spare bedroom or the bathroom. I keep all the doors closed. He has access to the living room and kitchen, which is hard wood and linoleum respectively. His pee pads are in the kitchen, where it's really easy to keep the floors clean. Can you come home at lunchtime? I usually come home so he doesn't have to hold pee/poop for more than 4 hours.
    Nope, I live out in the country, about a 40 minute drive from work, and don't really get a lunch.

The only room I can limit access to is my bedroom; I did try leaving the door closed at first, but there was much scratching and James did a bit of gnawing on the door frame. Both sleep in the big bed during the day...as far as I can tell, they don't leave the bedroom at all! It'll all be better once I get that carpet out of there in the next few months!!!
    Paula & Buster

Thanks

You CAN get really wide gates...our house doesn't have doorways either but I did find a wide gate to block off the living room. It extends to 6 feet. It was a bit expensive but we wanted an attractive one since it is up all the time (we step over it. Usually. Unless I have a bucket of hot ammonia water in one hand and a mop in the other and FALL over it) so it's wood and black wire and kinda nice looking. There are cheaper ones..
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

We have a really wide gate too. We had to put some screw things into the side of our cabinets, but it was worth it. I forget how big ours actually gets, but maybe it's 6 feet? You can get an extender too. We got ours at petedge.

I can't find ours, but this is similar. It's just a suggestion, but it works for us!
    http://www.petedge.com/E-longate-Pet-Gate-ZX63500.pro
    Jill - Proud Hoomom to Bailey and Reese! :hearts:

Check us out on DOGS 101!
    Just click DACHSHUND

Member of Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue
    www.c2cdr.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Yup, you can get wide gates that fasten into the walls. Also,you could use and Xpen in the kitchen. At least it would keep them confined.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Welll, apparently the secret was putting down the pee pads. Obviously, they were SO mortified at that, that they were perfect...nothing on the pee pads, nor on the floors nor on the carpet. I should have done this 2 weeks ago!! Alls well that ends well! (Who can understand the murky recesses of the dachsie mind, I ask you!! )
    Paula & Buster

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom
    (Who can understand the murky recesses of the dachsie mind, I ask you!! )
    Certainly not me. I discovered the way to keep Cash from marking the pot in the front hall was to put a towel under it. I have no clue why that makes a difference, I just keep the towel there and no problems. :D
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue