Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks

The whole movement of "think of the kids' feelings- don't hurt their feelings! Protect them!" is making these kids:

1. unable to cope when they can't get their way
    2. whiny, weak, and spoiled
    3. unable to take no for an answer.

Ari falls down and I tell her to "suck it up." I'm sensitive when she's really hurt, but I never coddle. I don't handle whining well and tell her to cut it out and ignore it.

I respect her feelings, but at the same time if they go against my wishes or rules (screaming for "COOKIE!" ten minutes before dinner) I have no guilt over not giving in. "How do you ignore her when she's so sad?" Um, because I don't want an out of control brat in a few years, thanks.
    Tracy, Mr. Butters, Rigby, Ariana Marie & Isabella Charlotte

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatresia
    The whole movement of "think of the kids' feelings- don't hurt their feelings! Protect them!" is making these kids:

1. unable to cope when they can't get their way
    2. whiny, weak, and spoiled
    3. unable to take no for an answer.

Ari falls down and I tell her to "suck it up." I'm sensitive when she's really hurt, but I never coddle. I don't handle whining well and tell her to cut it out and ignore it.

I respect her feelings, but at the same time if they go against my wishes or rules (screaming for "COOKIE!" ten minutes before dinner) I have no guilt over not giving in. "How do you ignore her when she's so sad?" Um, because I don't want an out of control brat in a few years, thanks.
    DITTO!! Sounds like we have the same parenting skills LOL. I do NOT let Adan whine for no reason. Not only for my sanity, but how will he be able to cope at school when he can't get his way?

You can't blame a bad dog for an ignorant owner. Same for kids. There are kids in our playgroup who are terrors. I'm learning how NOT to be by watching their parents and Adan is learning how NOT to be by watching the kids. His favorite saying is "she/he is CRAZY" when they act out. Don't get me wrong- he has his moments, but we nip it in the butt really quick and he knows that when I say STOP I mean it and consequences will ensue. EVERY TIME.

Sorry- off on a tangent. Off my soap box.

Thanks

Heh, I remember that back in 5th grade (1992-1993 or so) if we were bad we would have to run around the football field for an entire period, do vertical pushups, or hold books in our hands with our arms outstretched.

If I had kids I'd be in so much trouble.
    Complex numbers are all fun and games until someone loses an i.
    My Pictures including Emma and Cy
    I'm a guy and I love my pups.
    Brawndo: It's got what dachshunds crave. It's got electrolytes.
    Emma(), Nemo, and Cyborg ():

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic42
    Heh, I remember that back in 5th grade (1992-1993 or so) if we were bad we would have to run around the football field for an entire period, do vertical pushups, or hold books in our hands with our arms outstretched.

If I had kids I'd be in so much trouble.
    Hey, I like that school
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart