Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Dream,A Chance For Reality? The Sanctuary has been named !!!

I think we all dream of one day hitting the Lotto, or shaking our wallets at the full moon, and hitting a big cash windfall :D…….

Since Jethro’s journey to the Bridge, several of us have discussed the work that Andrea does with animals. Jethro’s passing was hard on all of us, but this one ripped her heart out. Her heart, soul and paycheck revolve around taking care of the furkids that are left behind, because they get too old, because of behavior problems, because of illness. Her special gift is in dealing with the “misfits” of the animal world, the rarity of this gift is only a part of what makes her such a wonderful special person.

We would like to create a Not-For-Profit company, deemed an Animal Sanctuary, in which the emphasis would not be in rehoming animals as our rescues do, but in providing those animals who are essentially un-adoptable a home to live out their days. If possibly there are Pals that are able to be rehabilitated and appropriate homes found, then so be it, but this would not be the focus of the Sanctuary.

Andrea for all intents and purposes IS already an Animal Sanctuary. We would like to give her the formalized vehicle to make this her life work. We have a ton of work to do to pull this together, and to be honest, we all feel like we are swimming in circles, just getting started – LOL !!!!

Rafi and Lisa have been kind enough to let us use the DLC to announce this and to open a thread to discuss, take offers of help, and just use the support that all the wonderful people here provide. What better place to find loving, caring, animal people willing to share in the dream. We have a huge pool of awesome people with all kinds of talents, knowledge, skills, strengths and contacts to help make this a reality.

In no way shape or form do we feel that this is any better than the rescue organizations that do so much for our furry friends, or the foster parents that offer their homes and love to help these furkids find forever homes. In fact, this idea will be another avenue for these organizations to help the animals they are unable to (dogs with aggression and other behavioral issues or those who need hospice care). We see it as a complimentary, not competing service….. Just another way to give them the LIFE they so richly deserve.

We can do this!!!
    Barb, Patrice, Paula, Rae
    Last edited by Barb; 09-15-2009 at 09:07 PM.
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

Sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure how much I can help, but I am definitely sending some Good Luck

I think sanctuaries are definitely needed with pets living longer these days. I don't think (I certainly hope not) that rescues would see a sanctuary as a threat, but rather a resource that benefits them.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thanks

I have some suggestions right off the bat. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary has conferences about "How to Start your Own Sanctuary" that offers great ideas on how to go about doing what our big dream in life seems to be. I suggest one of us attends one of the seminars to "sponge" all the information we can. If this "one of us" happens to be me because of location (close to Kanab, UT) or whatever, just let me know. I am in constant contact, am a member, and can work my schedule around attenting one of those conferences.

I have a friend that created a non-for-profit entity to rescue dogs in Las Vegas, and I know it took forever for her to get accreditation by the IRS. I know it's a grueling process, but I'll ask her to explain it to me, and I may be able to start on the paperwork. My friend also has great contacts where to get donations (in kind and $$), and can get us some input on that are. This will not get to fruition (donations) until the sanctuary gets going as a non-profit entity, but we'll know what to do.

How's that for a start?
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart

Thanks

Awesome idea! Go Andrea, I truly wish you every success in seeing this dream become reality (which I KNOW it will!!)

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Unfortunately the workshop on How to Start an Animal Sanctuary is this coming week, so we missed it this year, but there's always next year, and I'll keep an eye open for it.

Here is some information: http://network.bestfriends.org/group...kshopquot.aspx
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vferraro99
    Unfortunately the workshop on How to Start an Animal Sanctuary is this coming week, so we missed it this year, but there's always next year, and I'll keep an eye open for it.

Here is some information: http://network.bestfriends.org/group...kshopquot.aspx
    Rats and :Woot: for you !!!! (And I just looked at the link to the workshop - dang - that would have been fabulous !!!!)

Yup, the tax exemption portion of setting up a not for profit is the tough part. You can create a not for profit, without the expemption part and then tackle that once you get going. Will definately apply for that piece of it - absolutely !

I think I will actually write a letter to Best Friends and let them know we were late in finding out the date and see if they could send us some materials...worth the question !

Thanks V !

(Contacts for donations - HUGELY important - excellent !)

Thanks

Oh. My. doG....I can't even begin to express how absolutely fantastic this is!!!!! I would LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOVE to help in any way possible. I have a very big mouth (in case you haven't figured that out already ) so I'm good at promotions and fundraising. I work with people who are savy in grant-writing so I could tap into their expertise for applying for grant funding. I'm somewhat creative so I would be happy to write and/or design any kind of materials...and I have a hubby who works in the printing business (and even Captain Cheapy Pants would be thrilled to contribute in his own little way!)...sooo...whatever you think you could use from that, just yell. And lastly, if you need labor, I would be more than happy to travel and help with that. Working at a medical university causes heartburn and gray hair but they do give us an exorbitant amount of time off, soooo....just sayin'. PLEASE don't ask me...TELL me what you want from me or need from me and I'll do it...because this is just absolutely AWESOME and I would be proud to help in any way that I can!
    Robyne - mom to Bayley & Braydi
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsquared
    Oh. My. doG....I can't even begin to express how absolutely fantastic this is!!!!! I would LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOVE to help in any way possible. I have a very big mouth (in case you haven't figured that out already ) so I'm good at promotions and fundraising. I work with people who are savy in grant-writing so I could tap into their expertise for applying for grant funding. I'm somewhat creative so I would be happy to write and/or design any kind of materials...and I have a hubby who works in the printing business (and even Captain Cheapy Pants would be thrilled to contribute in his own little way!)...sooo...whatever you think you could use from that, just yell. And lastly, if you need labor, I would be more than happy to travel and help with that. Working at a medical university causes heartburn and gray hair but they do give us an exorbitant amount of time off, soooo....just sayin'. PLEASE don't ask me...TELL me what you want from me or need from me and I'll do it...because this is just absolutely AWESOME and I would be proud to help in any way that I can!

WOOHOO and YIPPEEE !!!!! and :Woot: for fundraising !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vferraro99

How's that for a start?
    AWESOME :faint:

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa
    Awesome idea! Go Andrea, I truly wish you every success in seeing this dream become reality (which I KNOW it will!!)
    Thank you so much!

Thanks

The name has been chosen....Jethro's Anipal Sanctuary. We will be doing the research for availability and rights, and hope that all is clear so we can move ahead.

The Sanctuary is created to help animals in need and as they become part of the Sanctuary family, they become an Anipal. This name has special meaning for all of us here, and our focus will be to show everyone else out there how special it is, through the work that the Sanctuary will do. Choosing a name is the beginning, and there is much to do.

The never ending support of all of the people here will make the tough journey ahead rewarding because we go it together. Who could ask for more than that?