Ft. Myers, Fl Home to hurricanes,..storms, not the teams
    Thanks

Default So much for that good idea.....

I was sitting out in the yard with the girls, who are always on their retractable leashes out there. Unfortunately, there is a definite limit on how far away they can wander on the leashes, right? So...as I am sitting there in the shade of the awning, looking at them play, I thought.....We could make some kind of doxie proof barrier to go from the fence to the wall of the den, and block off the bigger side of the yard, and turn them loose in here.

THis idea had just passed my eyes, and I see a huge shadow above us. I look up, and there is a humongous black vulture who must have thought Daisy was dead, not just trying to sleep in the sun. I jumped up, and he soared off to the other end of the fields behind us.

While I know that normally they would not go after live prey, they have been known to do so. And I do know that the resident red shoulder hawks, which are very large, too, would not hesitate to snatch up Taffy or Mindy in a flyby. Drats. I would love to be able to let them run free, but too much wildlife flies above us. Maybe when I win the lottery or powerball, and can put in a big pool cage? Darn darn darn.

Thanks

I understand perfectly. Although Rochester (upstate NY) is not known for wildlife (flying or otherwise), when we lived there and I only had Tinha I'd watch her like a hawk (no pun intended) because there were some HUGE (I mean it) crows that would be just eyeing her when she went to the backyard to do her business. I could walk her everyday, they'd not bother when she was with us, but never leave her in the yard. Too dangerous...
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart

Thanks

Scary stuff! There's not a lot of wildlife in our area, but when Ziggy was a puppy we lived near a field, and I saw big owls in the area several times.
    Katherine
    :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Crafty Mom to McKenna (She's the 2-legged one!)
    Weezer the doxie-mix moose dog
    Pinkerton the piebald doxie
    and missing Ziggy, our first doxie (2/01-4/09)

I blog!
    http://jellybean-junction.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Ooooo - scary!!!!
    Spay & Neuter makes 'em cuter
    http://www.straydog.org/ "All stray dogs to lucky dogs...NOW!"