Hybrid View

Thanks

Red face My Pathetic Attempt. . .

at a belly band :(

I can't even explain all the many, many, many problems I had sewing this.

Apparently, my sewing machine really *really* doesn't like sewing on non-pill fleece fabric--pretty much anything that could go wrong, did go wrong (repeatedly) :(

I'd used iron-on adhesive velcro. But when I went to wash it the first time, the velcro came off in the washer (granted, it had only been about 20 minutes since I'd put it on). I bought extra material to make more of them, but I really don't think I'll be able to wrestle with my machine again like that.

We bought one at the store for Jasper that we have been using, but it's a little too tight on him, and the elastic rubs his peenor too much, leaving red marks (we tried the larger size but it was going to fall off of him).

I guess I just need to buy some from an online seller. Any suggestions?
    Opaleyz, mom to Lili & Jasper - Sis to Gabby Auntie to Chloe & Gretta & Lexie

Thanks

Well, It doesn't look that bad. What kind of machine are you using? Did you try changing needles? Most times that is the problem.

It really isn't that bad.

Thanks

Try here. I purchased one from her (I still have it and don't need it, if you do, let me know, just PM me and I'll send it to you). http://www.drna.org/DoxieStore/viewi...=5&productid=7
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Red Haired Girl View Post
    Well, It doesn't look that bad. What kind of machine are you using? Did you try changing needles? Most times that is the problem.

It really isn't that bad.
    Thanks; the pictures don't really do the bad-ness justice ;)

It's a Singer, model 6416. My grandma passed it on to me. She couldn't find the manual, so I was working without one (no doubt part of the problem). She taught me a little when I was younger, but I don't really remember much; this was supposed to be my first project on it. I was happy enough I figured out how to load the small spool and thread the thing with stuff I learned from the faq sheet on the Singer site. I would have no idea what kind of needle to buy (and even less clue about how to change it).

Thanks

Easy way to do a pee band...
    Get a tube sock, put it around pup and mark where velcro should go, sew on velcro( machine or by hand) put a sanitary pad in it and ta da its done
    Take maybe 5 min. I use the socks with holes in the toes as once I sew the celcro on I clip off the extra ends.
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

Sewing on old machines can be the BIGGEST PITA ever! I never ever could get the bobbin tension right on my old one, broke thread continually, had tangled up messed up stitches perpetually..finally got a new machine, not an expensive one or anything and life is good. And iron on or stick on velcro never stays on-you gotta get plain and sew it on if you are making something that needs to be stuck and unstuck a lot. So don't think you lack sewing talent, it's just your machine and supplies!
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by areese View Post
    Sewing on old machines can be the BIGGEST PITA ever! I never ever could get the bobbin tension right on my old one, broke thread continually, had tangled up messed up stitches perpetually..finally got a new machine, not an expensive one or anything and life is good. And iron on or stick on velcro never stays on-you gotta get plain and sew it on if you are making something that needs to be stuck and unstuck a lot. So don't think you lack sewing talent, it's just your machine and supplies!
    Good to know it wasn't me I'm sure I'll invest in a new sewing machine at some point, but I don't really have time for many sewing projects at the moment (this was a feat borne out of necessity).

How easy is it to sew on regular velcro? I tried to reinforce the iron-on velcro but pushing a needle through the fabric and velcro was tricky/impossible.