Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Jack's strange behavior -- HELP!

So Jack (age approx. 8) and Lexie (age approx. 12) have slept in their doggie beds at the foot of our bed, year around, very quietly for years, until recently. Jack has been getting up at 3, 4, 5 AM and whining, scratching on the side of our bed, like he wants to sleep with us. He's very restless, and will not go back to bed and settle down. Eventually I end up getting up and sleeping on the couch with him. Sometimes he's unsettled and restless there, too, but most times he'll snuggle down and sleep just fine. This whining at early AM hours is very unlike him, and I cannot figure out what's going on with him! We've had critters under the house a while back (feral cat, probably opossum) but I think they've gone. He seems normal during the day, although he's always been a velcro dog and stays pretty close to me all the time. His restlessness really concerns me, and my S.O. is getting very upset about the sleeplessness HE'S having, along with me. Anyone have any ideas? We went for a long walk the past two days, thinking he'd tire out. Night before last, he slept fine until 6 AM, all tucked in. Last night, he didn't want to go in his bed but finally did -- and then was up and whining at me at 5 AM. HELP!!! ALL SUGGESTIONS DEEPLY APPRECIATED! I'm getting very concerned, and cannot figure out what on earth is going on with him! He doesn't seem to be in pain and acts normally the rest of the time -- except at night. We added a brighter nightlight thinking that might help -- nope. I have others submitting suggestions, too, as I need all the help I can get!!! (I plan to run it by the vet when I take him in next week for his bath.)
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Does he have to go out and pee?
    Laura
    http://www.dogdialogues.com
    "I live in a cartoon"

Thanks

no really good ideas here. Any possibility he is having stomach problems at night? Did he start a new food or eat something he shouldn't have? The reason I ask is sometimes Cassie will get a piece of plastic (she likes pens and water bottle caps ) and a piece will irritate her stomach for several days, but will only bother her at night. During the day she acts completely normal and eats enthusiastically... then in the morning, I find out she barfed in the crate overnight. Also I know some members have mentioned they need to feed their dogs a biscuit or small amount of food late at night because the empty stomach bothers them. I know you've mentioned he had a back problem recently - does he take any pain meds or anything that might be irritating?

That's all I got. Sending for your frustration.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Pogo has been doing this since the time change. He starts at 4:00 and gets increasingly demanding until 5:00. It makes sense to us, since he used to get up at 5:00 a.m. and was fed by 5:30. I am truly not a fan of daylight savings time.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Is he cold? The floor is colder than up in the bed - that darned heat rises thing - I had to put extra blankets on Bailey's bed otherwise he pranced around all night between the living room and bedroom.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I think that a trip to the vet might be in order. Most of the dogs I've had that develop health problems of some sort seem to have much more trouble at night. The restlessness makes me think that something is bothering him. Plus any change in behaviour is a cause for concern that it could be medically based.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I agree with Patrice. He sounds like he needs to be looked at by the vet.
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks

Jack's going to be seen by the vet tomorrow, just to be safe. One person suggested it could be that he is reacting to the stress, because there has been a LOT of that in our house lately, and perhaps he wants to comfort us. They always are sent out to pee before they go to bed, and I make sure they are insulated from a cold floor. Anyway, off to the vet we go tomorrow, for blood work, etc. Wish us luck! In a way, I hope it's only stress. He was great the other night; slept until 6 AM. Last night, he was up at 5, whining, so we all got up and pottied and ate. He wouldn't go back to bed in the bedroom, so back to the couch I went where he slept another 2 hours. Weird stuff!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Stress will do incredible things to us, and our dogs. They pick up on everything that goes on emotionally with us. Good luck at the vet, and hopefully all will be solved quickly Keep us posted.
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart

Thanks

I've been thinking about the stress, and when my S.O. was on the booze, there was a LOT more stress in this house and he never reacted to that. Last night was awful! He would not stay in his bed, wanted to climb up into ours, kept whining and whining and I finally ended up on the couch with him all night. He was terribly restless, moving every few seconds for a LONG time until he (and I) finally got a little sleep. Ugh!! He's at the vet now, with the others, and I hope I'll be able to find out something. I'm losing sleep, and when I go back to work, that's going to be a huge problem! My daughter said she's trying to "talk" to him but isn't getting anything but will keep trying. I'm at my wit's end, and I'm sure he's miserable, too, from the way he's acting! Some nights he'll settle down by me and go right to sleep, but not last night!!!