ADEE Guest

Default Earthborn holistic dog food

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/

Has anyone tried this food? We feed Dayley a mostly raw diet (natures variety) but recently picked up a bag of the earthborn after we ran out of her fromm surf and turf to give her part time. Shes been getting it pretty much once a day for almost 3wks (we feed her three small meals a day) she is getting the puppy formula but I think it may be drying her coat out... I was wondering if anyone had tried the food and if they had similar experiences with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I have never tried that brand. My vet recommends Nature's Logic for her dogs that eat kibble. It's a bit hard to find, but a great dry food. My friends were having trouble with their Kerry Blue terriers skin and started with my vet who put him on Nature's Logic and his skin is doing much better
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

When I fed Nature's Variety Raw, 100% we never had any skin issues except for Pogo's allergy to flax (which is why I now have to make all their food). We do use the Fromm Surf and Turf as their treats and are very happy with it too. Sorry I don't have more information on the Earthborn. I would maybe add some Salmon oil when you feed kibble.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Salmon oil does help dry skin issues. Tuna Omega capsules will, too, but are harder to find. You'll probably have to order them online. It's possible that she has an allergy to something like Pogo's allergy to flax. That might be worth investigating.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

ADEE Guest

she does have some sensitivities to food (and grass especially) we had tried giving her wellness puppy when we first got her (also has flax) and it gave her horrible loose stool. Her poo is fine now its just her coat that is so flaky and dry. I wanted to blame it on the weather but it hasnt been cool enough to really do anything. If it wasnt for wanting a "fall back" i would just stick to raw exclusively but because she goes everywhere with us its easier to store a baggy of her dry food in my car then to try and tote raw around everywhere plus hurricanes.. were out of hurricane season but dont want an upset belly during those storms because her belly hasnt tolerated any dry food for extended periods of time.

we had also tried evo small breed and it was WAY too rich for her. Natural Balance a few different formulas were horrible for her coat and she was sooo thin and couldnt gain/hold weight with it. She did very well on FROMM surf and turf but I knew there were "better" formulas out there.. obviously we want the spoiled brat () to have the best food possible and to be as healthy as she can be. The Earthborn has been great for her weight, she picked up a half pound just from eating it in addition to her raw, we certainly dont want a fat/overweight dachsie but the dog needed the weight badly, hips, spine and ribs were showing for a *very* long time, she was just 2lbs when we got her June 1st (DOB 3/22/09) and should have been at least nearly 3lbs... now im pretty sure shes about 7½lbs and shes almost 9mos old she gained the weight (with the exception of half pound lately) nice and slow but for the longest time she looked emaciated.

Lisa: Dayley gets Natures Variety raw as 75% of her diet, we LOVE it... she gets lamb, chicken and venison (cant wait to try bison) on a rotation to keep her interested, she also gets raw bones on occasions but because were right in the cone of error for hurricanes i have to have something to fall back on in the event of a storm, plus shes in training to do animal assisted therapy and there are some events that are all day and because shes so tiny we have her eat frequently (3xs a day) its nice to have a baggie of her food for lunches in the middle of the day when we caught up with training (or work, she comes with me there too a about once a week) lol... i reiterate, spoiled little dog!