Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Rusty *Update post #36*

Last night we noticed that Rusty suddenly decided he didn't want to walk, could, but wouldn't unless he really had too. He has been refusing his food for about 3 days now but figured he just being picky, he done that before. He will eat if I give him soft food. Also noticed his tummy was really hard. And he hasn't been pooping. Took Rusty to the vet. He has 2 slipped disks one is pushing up into his spine right where his tummy is hard. He got a couple shots and some meds. They said he should be fine and be back to normal real soon and his body will learn to get used to it. I should only worry if his back goes out and he cant walk at all. He has to take it easy now. Please say a prayer for my little guy.

Last edited by RustysMom; 01-06-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

I'm so sorry Angela!!!!!! He absolutely needs to be crated for 6 weeks though.
    You do not want those discs to herniate and him end up paralyzed and needing surgery. Dogs don't know how to take it easy and as soon as he is less painful due to the meds, he could easily do something to hurt himself.
    He most certainly can recover fully and be pain free but he really needs to be crated. Please check out dodger's list for info on back problems.
    I'm not sure what a "slipped disc" is or how that could be dx-ed without an MRI but since he is a doxie and it's his back, you really have to treat it with great care and caution. Laika's problem started exactly like that...
    What was the shot and what are the meds??
    many many and
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by areese View Post
    I'm so sorry Angela!!!!!! He absolutely needs to be crated for 6 weeks though.
    You do not want those discs to herniate and him end up paralyzed and needing surgery. Dogs don't know how to take it easy and as soon as he is less painful due to the meds, he could easily do something to hurt himself.
    He most certainly can recover fully and be pain free but he really needs to be crated. Please check out dodger's list for info on back problems.
    I'm not sure what a "slipped disc" is or how that could be dx-ed without an MRI but since he is a doxie and it's his back, you really have to treat it with great care and caution. Laika's problem started exactly like that...
    What was the shot and what are the meds??
    many many and
    Good advice. I've had two that were completely down recover with crate rest. Rusty can have a full recovery, but he does need to be crated or confined in some way) so that he doesn't do further injury and only taken out to potty ON A LEASH. Sending tons of
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

on the crate rest thing, Angela. When Duchie hurt her back the vet popped her full of prednisone (not a bad thing!) and she thought she could jump over the house.
    for complete healing!
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

More on the way!
    Opaleyz, mom to Lili & Jasper - Sis to Gabby Auntie to Chloe & Gretta & Lexie

Ft. Myers, Fl Home to hurricanes,..storms, not the teams
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

I am so happy you brought him to the vet. Good Mom!!

Lots of rayz for Rusty. This is totally treatable. You just need to be vigilant with the jumping until he completely heals which will take a few weeks. The drugs will mask the pain so he might start jumping around, but he will need a lot of rest. to you too. I know you are under a lot of stress right now and this is not needed, but it will be okay.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

coming in full force...definatly agree with the multi weeks crating...please keep us posted....
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

Oh, my... Bambi has been showing the same signs for a couple of days. Because she has had acute pancreatitis before I thought this could be another crisis, now I'm thinking a visit to the veterinarian, presto, is in order.

Sending plenty of mega for Rusty.
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart