Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    crazycritters Guest

Default marking/belly bands??

OK so I have a question is there a belly band that works better then the other?? we have some that have like the elastic on the sides... and they have figured out that they can just roll over and like scoot on the floor and it pulls it down past there (you know) and they go about marking...
    will this ever stop.. we have two males that were fixed as soon as we got them. they were a little older but we have had them for say? a yr at least and the one he just has accidents every so often but the other one he is horrible I cant hardly leave him out he hikes (but is smart about it .. you can let him out let him back in and they are in the kitchen pinned up right now because of these issues but he will wait till you are not in there to do it --no matter if you are fixing say supper he will wait it out!) he even pees in his crate our guys get big blanket's to burrow in and as soon as I put it down and walk away he marks it ...I am so tired of the pee smell and I am about to get new floors in my living room (I hate to think of placing him in a new home BUT I am just so frustrated right now...)
    can someone please help thanks
    Last edited by crazycritters; 01-20-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: forgot to add something to it(hit send to soon)

Thanks

There was another thread about this recently. TEATHER. I am pretty sure it worked. If he is not tied to you, he is in his crate. And when he pees where you want - praise like he just cured the common cold (with treats). When he goes where you don't want, ignore him and clean it up. Use a good enzyme cleaner and get the smell out, or he will just keep wanting to mark the spot. It will take about 3 weeks but he will get it.

Also try an old tube sock. I haven't but I heard they work better than belly bands?

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I agree with Lisa about tethering him to you. That's the best way to re-housetrain him.

I used a belly band on Bogart when he had back problems and was somewhat incontinent. I made a 'suspender' to go around him neck. It fasten on to the belly band with suspender clips I bought at Joann's and was made out of elastic. I"ve used it on Cash also and it works well. Here's a pic

Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I have the same problem with our new boy Odie. like Lisa said, tethering him to you can really help. I have 3 male dogs. 2 of them Rusty and Baxter have never ever lifted a leg to mark and they squat like girls to pee and I love it! but Odie, marks marks marks and his fav is my couch. I tried the belly bands and he too squirmed out of them. So I made him one with suspenders to go around his neck to keep the wrap on and that has helped so much! even though I've had him since October I still cannot trust him without the wrap. I tried to trust him once, he went out to pee, marked the fence the snow shovel a plant and came back to the door. I praised him, gave him a treat figuring its been 3 months since we got him and he's always been in a wrap, lets see if he's learned any. What did he do? so straight to the couch and marked it after going in 3-4 different spots outside. So if he's not tethered to me, he's in his wrap or in the crate. Were still working on it.

Good Luck! He will learn, it takes time and patience. Never get mad at him for doing it, they don't know. Lots of Praise Lots of Treats!!!
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

OMG, that is such a cute picture!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    OMG, that is such a cute picture!!!
    That's my boy! :hearts::hearts:

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

And it is not a boy vs. girl thing either. Pretzel took forever (seriously) to train. She is a smart girl, but it just wasn't a priority to her. She loves going outside and sniffing around and often would just plain forget what she was supposed to do out there. Like kids they each have their own learning curve. You wouldn't give a baby up because it took too long to learning how to use the potty, you just need patience to get through it. 3 of mine are siblings, and P'nut was the first to get it, she was fully trained in a couple of weeks, Pepsi was a couple of days (which I think is a credit to his foster Mom), Pretzel was years (yes, years), Pixel was months and months (he is cute, just not super bright) and Pogo was a couple of days and he never had an accident in 9 years. Same family, just different learning curves for every dog. But tethering and consistency do work, you just really need to focus your energy on teaching the correct behavior. Set him up for success. The time you put in now, will be time you save cleaning in the future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    And it is not a boy vs. girl thing either. Pretzel took forever (seriously) to train. She is a smart girl, but it just wasn't a priority to her. She loves going outside and sniffing around and often would just plain forget what she was supposed to do out there. Like kids they each have their own learning curve. You wouldn't give a baby up because it took too long to learning how to use the potty, you just need patience to get through it. 3 of mine are siblings, and P'nut was the first to get it, she was fully trained in a couple of weeks, Pepsi was a couple of days (which I think is a credit to his foster Mom), Pretzel was years (yes, years), Pixel was months and months (he is cute, just not super bright) and Pogo was a couple of days and he never had an accident in 9 years. Same family, just different learning curves for every dog. But tethering and consistency do work, you just really need to focus your energy on teaching the correct behavior. Set him up for success. The time you put in now, will be time you save cleaning in the future.
    I totally agree with that. I fostered a mill mother who was really scared of everything and I had such a hard time housetraining her. I was working out of the house at the time and after I started tethering her to me or keeping her in the small room I used as an office all the time, she 'got it' pretty quickly. I told her new mom that I wasn't sure how well housetrained she was and the new mom told me that she never had an accident. The work now pays off later

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Patrice, that pic brought tears to my eyes. Sweet old man in his suspenders and plaid golf pants :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Yup, it took me 6 YEARS to convince Maxe that she needed to pee outside. It wasn't that she didn't get it, but that, in true dachsitude fashion, she wasn't quite sure why it applied to her. Mind you, from 6 years on, until she got quite old and a bit incontinent, I could leave her for 12-14 hours (not that I did very often, of course) and she would hold it. Alex on the other hand was never 100% housebroken. I learned to recognize her signs, cuz she almost never asked to go out. The Js were coming along quite well, given that they weren't housebroken at 9 years of age, until Wendal came along. Now, he's the only one who actually will ask to go out, while the other 2 have totally regressed. It's not too hard when I'm home...they all just go out every 3 hours, whether they want to or not , but when I'm working, forget it. One pees, then the other 2 mark there. *sigh* It's been so long since I had to train a puppy that I've forgotten how
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

crazycritters Guest

OK so I totally understand what you are all saying but maybe I am being mean but this is just wrong he has been here over a year he should have it by now and the whole potty trained well I am pretty sure its not that cause he can hold it if he wants if he is in a small crate never any messes he will start to whine or bark if he needs out...but in a larger one at other times he wont even keep the crate clean he can go out pee like 3 times and come right in and mark on the pillow/blanket... so I think its more of a marking issue .. now do you really think the teathering is going to work he is already smart enough not to do it when you are around him he will hold it he will tell you that he has to go even, but as soon as you turn your back you will be cleaning up after him....
    and like I said I will be getting new floors soon!! spring/summer just waiting to be able to put it in and no I cant wait till we don't have pets etc.. my current flooring is unraveling and falling apart.
    I will try the teathering thing .. I love the little bugger to death but something has to give when the dogs are not your only pets you really don't need them to be adding to the constant battle of pet smells...
    dont get me wrong we have everyone on a cleaning schedule but there is always that if someone coles and they dont have pets does it smell in here? thing you ask your self..and I have family that is agenst us haveing the pets we have ....(long story )
    but thanks for your help guys