Thread: Chunky anals

Thanks

Default Chunky anals

So I had to take Braydi in to the vet this morning to have her anals drained. I didn't get to see or actually talk to anyone because they had six...SIX...emergencies in that little practice. Anyway, a new girl came back in with Braydi and told me that her right gland was full and a little chunky and to keep an eye on it. She rushed out before I could ask any questions. Anyone ever had a doxie with a chunky anal expression before? Exactly WHY would it be chunky? I plan to call back on Monday when they are hopefully less crazed and talk to someone. Unfortunately, there was a lot of sadness there today. :(
    Robyne - mom to Bayley & Braydi
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Thanks

maybe she just means it was very thick? And/or close to getting impacted? Yeah, I would call Monday....bery sad so much was going on.....
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

Never heard it called "chunky". Sorry for so much sadness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I've never heard it called 'chunky' either, but I think that when they are impacted the stuff sort of solidifies (I know, gross). So maybe that's what she meant.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I've never heard that but since I do my dog's glands myself, I've seen a variety of...emissions first hand. I would think if it is thick or lumpy that would not be good. The "norm" for my dogs seems to be quite watery. I would think a thick or lumpy consistancy would make it more difficult to be expressed normally (when they poop) so you might want to get it done sooner next time if you don't do it yourself (don't know any other way to check it except for to do it...but watch for a lot of butt-licking and scooting).
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Here is a link that describes the "chunky" fluid. Pogo's sometimes get's chunky. When it gets like that we have to drain him much more frequently until it goes back to more watery (TMI, I know!!) We usually put a warm compress on his butt to express it a bit easier when the fluid is thicker.

http://www.hometownvetcare.com/library/D/19605-p.pdf

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

1199 N. Terry Street, #344, Eugene, Oregon 97402
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Here is a link that describes the "chunky" fluid. Pogo's sometimes get's chunky. When it gets like that we have to drain him much more frequently until it goes back to more watery (TMI, I know!!) We usually put a warm compress on his butt to express it a bit easier when the fluid is thicker.

http://www.hometownvetcare.com/library/D/19605-p.pdf
    Thanks Lisa for the link. Quite informative. I have been VERY lucky and never had anal gland issues with any of my dogs, but it is good to know the signs just in case.
    Oscar 05/01/2000 - 12/05/12
    Otto 02/29/2000 - 05/12/2010
    Rikka 07/11/2004 - 06/18/2013
    Axel 03/31/2009
    Diablo RIP Evil Kitty
    Rudi 11/06/2017

Thanks

GREAT link - thank you!!

I'm keeping my eye on her...she hasn't licked them since she had them done yesterday but the moment she starts, I'm taking her back in immediately. Poor girl...she has more problems with them than Bayley.
    Robyne - mom to Bayley & Braydi
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"