Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor ol' Wendal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default Poor ol' Wendal

My poor little compromised immune system boy could use some mouth rayz.

They were in for babysitting at Laura's yesterday, and I'd mentioned to her that he was really rubbing his face, and his mouth didn't look good to me, but what the heck do I know? So after doing his chiro treatment, she took a look...pus pockets on his gums, black teeth, not good. She says he really does need to have the rest of them out, but with his huge heart and poor immune system, and other assorted health issues, she's kind of reluctant to do it. So for the moment he's on amoxicyllin (sp?) and she says he might just be on antibiotics for the rest of his life. He's been kind of quiet the last few days, and I'm guessing his poor little mouf is owie. And the penicillin is upsetting his tummy a bit, so will have to give it with some pepcid. Poor guy just can't catch a break.

I owe her a ton of $$$ right now, so can't do anything til that's paid off. Don't know what do to do though...on the one hand, I couldn't live with myself watching him go through what he went through before, but on the other, it's dangerous doing the op. Alex is surely killing herself laughing...WAY too reminiscent of her last few years .
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Oh no, lots of rayz for my sweet Wendal.

I know this is a stretch, and COMPLETELY different circumstances, but when Pretzel had her brutal demodex and we had to build up her immune system we gave her Cold FX and baby formula (for newborns) along with her food to help build her immunity. Of course, that won't do anything for Wendal's teeth or his heart, but I am just thinking about building his immunity to ward off anything else?

It's a tough call Paula, the risk of putting him under. I know in humans poor teeth can do further damage to a heart. But at the same time, I can't forget about Tyronne who was a younger and healthier dog and had all the pre-blood work done with no red flags.

I still miss both of you. I really took a shine to Wendal. I remember the morning he was here, Rafi tried to take him outside, but he didn't want any part of him. As soon as I came down, he let me pick him up and bring him out. :hearts: The reason that resonates with me is because all our dogs have no preference. Dad / Mom makes zero difference to them as long as we feed them on time. Pepsi is kind of a Mama's boy and Pretzel kind of is a Daddy's girl but not in an overly dramatic way. Wendal is all about the girls and is such a heart stealer.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I know this is a stretch, and COMPLETELY different circumstances, but when Pretzel had her brutal demodex and we had to build up her immune system we gave her Cold FX and baby formula (for newborns) along with her food to help build her immunity. Of course, that won't do anything for Wendal's teeth or his heart, but I am just thinking about building his immunity to ward off anything else?

It's a tough call Paula, the risk of putting him under. I know in humans poor teeth can do further damage to a heart. But at the same time, I can't forget about Tyronne who was a younger and healthier dog and had all the pre-blood work done with no red flags.

I still miss both of you. I really took a shine to Wendal. I remember the morning he was here, Rafi tried to take him outside, but he didn't want any part of him. As soon as I came down, he let me pick him up and bring him out. :hearts: The reason that resonates with me is because all our dogs have no preference. Dad / Mom makes zero difference to them as long as we feed them on time. Pepsi is kind of a Mama's boy and Pretzel kind of is a Daddy's girl but not in an overly dramatic way. Wendal is all about the girls and is such a heart stealer.
    Awwww..... I'll ask Laura about the ColdFX. I know it works for me, and I don't think it can do any harm, although I've heard that ginseng can have an effect on certain drugs. But certainly worth exploring.

Yup, that's the dilemma, and the same one I had with Alex. Bad teeth DEFNITELY can contribute to heart disease in animals too. If I understand it correctly, the bacteria from the teeth get into the bloodstream and over time cause plaque buildup and infection in the heart. Laura says that Wendal's heart is the biggest one she's seen in a dog his size (in more ways than one :hearts::hearts: )...we thought Alex's was bad, but his is way worse. He is coughing a bit, which is a symptom of heart disease. We're going to see how the antibiotics do; the infection needs to be knocked down anyway, no matter what we decide.

He does have a way of squiggling into your heart, doesn't he . But he REALLY doesn't like men at all. (Sorry Rafi ). Understandable from what Andrea has told me about his past. In fact, when I dropped them off for babysitting last week, the CDMV guy was delivering dog food, and bent down to let him sniff his hand, cuz he has a dachsie too, and Wendal bit him. I was mortified, but when I explained his history, he was SO great about it!!! Almost in tears. Gotta love sensitive men :hearts:
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

&($#*%&(& dilemmas. hate em. Duchie needs a dental too (phew) but the risk scares me.

love you and for Wendal, da Wadies Man.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Wendal is for sure a special special dog...just something about him. And of course we know that cuz for him to speak to Paula all the way from MI to Nova Scotia....
    Whenever I think of him I think of how he was here...strange dogs, strange people but not at all fazed...and then him (rather politely) going behind Laika and putting his feet on her back...like THIS one is pretty I think I'll sneak a quick hump. NOt a good dog to choose for that but yeah she IS pretty. He IS all about the girls :hearts: And him "running" in the backyard... so fricking sweet...
    Have no advice about the teeth dilemma...one the one hand his bad teeth could make his heart worse...on the other hand it's scary to put hiim under with that heart. Too bad they can't just numb them up like humans and pull the teeth out
    Antibiotics are a good idea of course. Salsa takes them 5 days a month (oh! have to start them to day as a matter of fact, thanks for reminding me. Although Salsa won't thank you..she hates it.) I hate doing it but her teeth just suck. Much better with the leba III though. I wonder if that would help him at all??? It's supposed to change the PH in the mouth....
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

:awww: Wendal honey, I am so sorry your moufie hurts...sending you a boatload of and hoping that the meds clear up the nasty infection..... Smoochies to Wendal...soft ones :hearts:
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

Moufie for Wendal and for you!!
    Robyne - mom to Bayley & Braydi
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Dang! What a choice. I reallly don't know what I'd do. I'm really scared of putting them under if I don't have to, but infected teeth can cause lots of other problems especially in a dog with a bad heart.

I think you're right to try the antibiotics first. You're going to have to clear up the infection whether you take the teeth out or not.

Sending ton of Texas sized for Wendal and for you.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I'm going to be honest here, I'd get his teeth taken care of, as they may be one of the reasons his heart is so bad. I had Tinha and then Leonardo as proof that once their teeth are taken care of (and I was scared to death to do their dental) their hearts sound so much better, even Tinha's with CHF. Leonardo's heart murmur was a 4 before the dental, and reduced to a 1 a week after.

Sending tons of for Wendal, poor boy, it must hurt.
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart

Thanks

Many, MANY Wendal ! Hope the antibiotics help a LOT!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.