Thanks

Default Should we be concerned?

Edelweiss is 17 weeks old now. Since we adopted her she had been gaining weight rapidly. We weigh her every Monday morning. She has not budged from 8.6 lbs since she was 13 weeks old though.
    I took her in for the vet to look her over because I was concerned that she had stopped putting weight on being as she is so young. But he gave her a good exam and said she is doing great. I mean she does look good with her shiny coat and bright eyes. Her appetite is good and she is active and playing and poos are normal.
    But I still wanted to run it by you seasoned Dachsie owners. She is our first Dachshund so we are still learning, often times the hard way. LOL some days I want to beat my head on the wall over something she does but honestly we wouldn't trade her for the world.
    I never saw her parents but our vet said their records indicate Mom was 10 lbs and Dad was 9 so is it possible she is already done growing? I wouldn't think so but like I said I wanted to ask you all what you think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Numbers don't really mean that much. I'd go more by how she looks than by what her lbs are. There are several good posts on how to tell if your dog is too fat in the archives and also a sticky at the front of the Medical Wellness thread with links showing how to tell if you dog is the right weight.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I agree with Patrice, if the vet says she looks good that is awesome! She will most likely have another growth spurt. They are usually done at 1 year old.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

If the vet says she's doing great, and she is, by what you say, I would not worry about it. Numbers are just that: numbers. Her parents were small, she could or could not be done growing... and she's a doll anyway
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart

Thanks

Thanks, it's just been so long since we had a puppy and never a Dachshund puppy. I just needed some reassurance that this was a normal puppy growing process for her. I just worry with her, as I know she didn't have the best start in life. But she does look and act great now... I'm just a worry wart.
    Sorry

Thanks

never never never apologize for asking a bona fide question because you love your dog and want to make sure she is OK!!

This is my first time to be owned by a doxie too and I have learned SOOOOO much from this group!
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duchiesmom View Post
    never never never apologize for asking a bona fide question because you love your dog and want to make sure she is OK!!

This is my first time to be owned by a doxie too and I have learned SOOOOO much from this group!
    Pogo was both Rafi and mine first dog EVER. We have both learned so much from DLCers (and continue to learn).

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Thanks, I'll take that to heart.
    Well it's 2 weeks later and she is STILL holding steady at 8.6 pounds.
    Not gained or lost in 7 weeks now. LOL I just can't believe, so much attitude comes in such a small package!
    :AngelB: :AngelB: :AngelB: :AngelB: :AngelB:

Thanks

She will most likey still get in her chest (that comes in around a yr or so) but she might not gain weight. As long as she's feeling good, looking good then I wouldn't worry about it as she might just be a true blue mini.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]