Thread: Hiding Food

Maci's Mom Guest

Default Hiding Food

Hi All,
    I am new to the site, and I need some help from wise owners. I adopted my sweet little Maci this past October. She's a 5 year old red tweenie, and I love her so much. This past week, I have noticed she has been lightly scattering her dry food around the kitchen. I thought maybe she was just playing, but now I discovered something odd. I just went to move her crate out of the kitchen, and I noticed that she has been hiding her food in the back of her crate under the blanket. I changed her food about three weeks ago, but I am sure that the new behavior started this week. I just left a message with her vet for a refferal to a behaviorist because I've wanted to take her to one anyway. Has anyone else encountered something similar? It kind of freaked me out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I don't think it's abnormal. They do it to keep it to have later. It's more a "wild dog" behaviour. A throwback to when dogs lived in the wild and had to survive as best they could. If they didn't want to eat the food then, they hid it so that others wouldn't eat it and they could have it later.

I've had dogs that hide their treats under the sofa pillows and in the closet. I always found it amusing. Especially when I'd find it and they'd get all excited and want it back.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Some of mine do it too....I just let them have it for later.
    MOM TO: :rpaw:
    Dachshunds-Cali, Cash, Diva, Cayenne, and Jackson
    Non Dachs-Skye, Smurf, Buster, Shockey, Teche, and Tater

www.gulfcoastdachshundrescue.org

Maci's Mom Guest

She seems to like this food better than the last food, so I thought that could be a contributing factor to hiding it. My last dachshund used to hide her treats for later, which we thought was kind of cute. It was a sweet reminder of her to find her treats after she passed. This is the first time I've found real food hidden. Thanks for making me feel better.

Thanks

I've noticed Cosco lately doesnt seem to enjoy wolfing down treats or people food bits that I give him like he used to. He'll still take them but instead of downing it in one, he gnaws on it a little and then wanders off to hide it. I found a pizza crust in my bed the other night. I wonder why all of a sudden he started doing it but never had before?

Thanks

I agree, I don't think the behavior is abnormal, but I am glad you are talking to a behaviorist because something else could be going on with her. From this article, it is possible she is feeling insecure. Because you don't know about her past, she may have been denied food and therefore now is hoarding it.

It also mentions the teeth, if she has any sort of stinky breath, bring her into the vet for a check up, maybe her teeth are bugging her and it hurts to eat everything at once.

And Welcome to the DLC. :hello4:

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Edelweiss does this. She has a couple different hiding places for various treats and often times food. Under her blanket that lays on the dogs shared bed is one of her fave places. That way when she wakes from a nap she can have a little snacky and then go right back to sleep.
    But esp if she has just had a meal and you give her a treat she will run with it to the corner between the fireplace and entertainment center and put it in the corner for later consumption.

Maci's Mom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Under her blanket that lays on the dogs shared bed is one of her fave places. That way when she wakes from a nap she can have a little snacky and then go right back to sleep.
    Lol, that sounds like a great idea! I'll have to remember that the next time I take a nap!

Thanks

I have to agree with Lisa....She might have been free fed with other dogs to share... and not gotten enough for herself and now that she has her own food... she may think she has to share it...I think thats cute. g&p always hide their bones in the house somewhere.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound