Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Pet deaths prompt warnings on flea meds

Trixie had reactions by having seizures.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35914331...lth/?GT1=43001
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks

Juney, I can't find it on the link. There's so much there. Maybe it's gone?

Thanks

Link okay here...

I'm sorry to hear about Trixie, I hope she's doing okay now.

Our Trixie acted lethargic with the regular dose (her #size) of flea meds, I used the smaller dose and she did okay. Since then I have switched products.

Please DO NOT USE HARTZ OR SPOT-ON products, they are both deadly.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I've never used any topical flea treatments because of the risk. There are other ways to control fleas so, to me, it just isnt' worth the risk.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

We had a problem with fleas when we brought home our cat Pixie when she was a 5-6 week old stray. She was infested with fleas, she got daily baths with flea shampoo and it worked a bit. We took her to the vet for her vaccines and she still had a couple of fleas. They put the kind that goes on the neck but I dont remember the name. The next day we seen balls of fur on the floor, it was hers. The area treated with the flea controll was irritated and red, rashed, a little bloody and she was going bald. The bald area was larger than a half dollar coin! I took her right back to the vet and they said they would mark her paperwork that she cannot have that brand to use another the next time. There was no next time, Im affraid to put any on her. Luckly we havent had any flea problems since!
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

SaxLady, did you find the information on the link? If not, here is another link that you may be able to access:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35914331...lth/?GT1=43001

Yes, Patt, Trixie is doing much, much better. I have started giving her DE instead. Last year, for some odd reason, we had no fleas in the yard or house, so we were lucky.

Pat, you just gave a teaser! Can you tell us what other safer methods you use? I know that the vet suggested that I give Trixie Interceptor with flea meds in it, but I was scared that oral meds might kill her, which is why I looked for more natural methods.

RustysMom, did Pixie ever get her hair back or is she permanently bald?
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuneyTrixie View Post
    RustysMom, did Pixie ever get her hair back or is she permanently bald?
    Yes her hair finally grew back it took a while but grew back healthy and normal! I will never trust that stuff again. The vet siggested another brand for next time but I didnt want to risk it. Like I said Luckly we havent had flea problems with anyone since and if we ever do, I dont know what I'll use!
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RustysMom View Post
    Like I said Luckly we havent had flea problems with anyone since and if we ever do, I dont know what I'll use!
    Have you tried Diatomaceous Earth? I don't know about fleas (we don't have them here), but it works for all other bugs...
    Mom to Bambi, Jewels, Sammy Boy and Pixie
    Tinha 2/14/91 - 4/25/08 - forever alive in my heart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I haven't had many flea problems, when I do I use Cloud Nine Dip by Halo made into a spray and spray them with it and also the house and their bedding. I also have a guy the comes in on bad years and puts down this stuff that works like a charm. Not a flea in the house and it's so non toxic, he doesn't even wear a mask to do it and the dogs and I don't have to leave the house. Although I do put the dogs outside so he can get something done. I've only had to have him come in like once every 4 or 5 years.

Cash is my problem child because of his long hair so on tough years, I spray him and use the flea comb on him every day or two and that seems to take care of them. It's more work than just squirting stuff on them, but there's also no reactions that I've seen since you aren't using chemicals.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuneyTrixie View Post
    Pat, you just gave a teaser! Can you tell us what other safer methods you use? I know that the vet suggested that I give Trixie Interceptor with flea meds in it, but I was scared that oral meds might kill her, which is why I looked for more natural methods.
    Sorry. I now give them Comfortis (tablet form). I use Sentinel for HW prevention, it has Program in it which is a flea preventative.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)